Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonnyEdinburgh
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

HD channels lost with new BT Box

Go to solution

I have just set up my new BT box - channels 101-105 have disappeared. 1O6 onwards is ok. Tried retuning, rebooting, checking signal and making sure all works when not using box. Seems a common problem with these boxes. Any ideas how I can fix without reverting back to my old box which has HD for the past 2+ years. Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Bobandlesley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: HD channels lost with new BT Box

Go to solution
Hi. Not sure if this helps but thought I would post it anyway. It does tell me that all modern TV’s and boxes are susceptible to interference. The spitter before the TV and or you BT box may solve the issue.

I replaced replaced a very old Labgear distribution amp. With UHF and VHF inputs. Initially I found that both TV and the BT Box (on HD channels only) signal were dropping out in a cycle of about two seconds. All other Channels apart from HD were good. Because I had changed the Ariel at the same time (which was originally faulty) I called the Ariel person back. He naturally blamed the new distribution amp. After I tried lots of different things I found the issue. Disconnecting the VHF feed into the new distribution amp fix the problem. It was the same with a new Labgear amp! So I purchased a TV/VHF splitter so that VHF was filtered before going into TV and BT Box. All was fixed!! The Ariel person had not seen this issue before so be aware. This is a good product and recommended.
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

@JonnyEdinburgh 

Sometimes the issue is down to too high a signal strength like 95% upwards. This causes the tuners on the BT Youview units to be overpowered. The solution to this issue is a variable attenuator costing approx £5. This is fitted inline with the aerial feed to the Youview box and adjusted until the signal strength drops below 95% or until the signal quality improves.

The same can be achieved by using a splitter that @Bobandlesley mentions but that might not reduce the signal strength enough though.

Another possible issue can be poorly shielded cables , either the HDMI, ethernet or aerial. I had the issue with a poor quality ethernet cable running through trunking along with aerial cable to my wall mounted TV. Try first by ensuring that there is plenty of clearance between the cables to see if that helps.

0 Ratings
Bobandlesley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I did buy an attenuator and tried it but this did not work for my situation. I do have a VHF aerial through a TV amp distributor so this splitter filtered the VHF away from the TV and BT box and fixed my problem. I do agree the spitter will drop the signal as well. 

0 Ratings
JonnyEdinburgh
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Ok brilliant thank you everyone for the advice - I will try this tomorrow and let you know if I have any success. Thanks again 

0 Ratings
JonnyEdinburgh
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Hi, just to say thanks and I was able to resolve with the attenuator - £5 and retuned... HD now showing. 

given this is such a common problem I would expect BT to address this - either through provision of the attenuator or a note on their trouble shooting that this could be the problem. Hopefully Bt will take some action.

thanks again to everyone on the forum

0 Ratings