Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
lvholmes
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

HDMI connection from YouView box to LG smart tv not working

Go to solution

Just got a new LG smart tv and am trying to tune the channels.

My choices are to tune from Aerial, Cable or Satellite, and no channels are found with any of those choices. 

My HDMI signal does not appear to be reaching the TV - when I switch the TV source to HDMI no signal is found. The HDMI connection was working fine with the previous TV. 

FWIW, I am able to connect the TV to my WiFi, and all cables to the YouView box appear to be correct (coax, hdmi, power, ethernet)

I've tried plugging and unplugging, restarting the YouView box, etc. 

Any ideas? TIA

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES
Zombie
Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: HDMI connection from YouView box to LG smart tv not working

Go to solution

Some tv’s need a restart after plugging in a new hdmi device, they don’t always notice you have plugged something in if the tv was already on when you plugged in the hdmi. Try a restart of the tv not just standby on or off, but a powner cycle down. Or unplug the tv for 2 minuets then plug it back in.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

First thing I'd do is connect the TV aerial feed directly into the TV rather than to the Youview box & then to the TV. Get the TV working correctly first then progress to the next problem.

0 Ratings
lvholmes
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply, but sadly, that didn't work. Any other ideas appreciated. 

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

So connecting the TV aerial directly from the wall socket to the TV didn't enable you to tune in the TV but everything was fine with the old TV?

If that's the case I'm inclined to think your new TV is faulty.

However , I think I'd try doing a full reset first though. That'll be set to shipping condition or initial values or something similar & try again.

0 Ratings
lvholmes
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

When I tried to tune the TV, the LG TV gave me the option of tuning via Aerial, Cable or Satellite. I tried all options but no prgrammes were found. The aerial is the coaxial cable, right? That is connected to the YouView box, the YouView box is connected to the TV with the HDMI cable. Anyway, tuning found no programmes using any option. The old tv is working fine (I've reconnected it now). Is it possible I need an upgrade to my YouView box? The old TV is quite old and I've had the YouView box for some years. I'm kind of stumped. Thanks for your help. 

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Yes the aerial is the coax cable. Have you connected that directly to the TV , not from the Youview box? That really must be your first step.

To tune the TV into freeview channels you must have the aerial coax cable connected to it, from your last post it almost suggests that that is not the case and it is only connected to the Youview box and there is no cable coming out from that to the TV other than the HDMI cable.

As for the Youview box , no that shouldn't need to be updated/upgraded.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Use the Aerial option, but you must make sure that there is an aerial lead from the output of the YouView box, to the aerial input of the TV, so the signal is passed to the TV,

You can also prove whether the TV is working, by removing the aerial input connection from the YouView box, and plugging it directly into the aerial input of the TV. Then select the Aerial input and tune the TV in using that.

I have an LG Smart TV with a BT YouView (old software), and it works just fine on bothe aerial and HDMI.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
lvholmes
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks both for the replies. Eventually replaced the HDMI cable and it worked - not sure why the old one worked with the old tv and not the new, but it's working now. Thanks again. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @lvholmes,

Thank you for taking the time to post back. I'm happy you've got the YouView box working on your new TV Smiley Happy

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings