Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maathoru
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Haloing / Edge Enhancement on YouView signal

Go to solution

Hi - I just got a YouView+ box and am really happy with the functionality but there is problem with the signal which is showing signs of edge enhancement resulting in haloing

This image shows the tv signal through my tvs inbuilt freeview (samsung TV) - the picture is sharp but solid

tv_Fotor.jpg

This picture shows the same channel coming through the YouView box - note the edge enhancement and haloing:

youview_Fotor.jpg

This next picture shows an image from Netflix via the YV box - note the excessive haloing around the character:

netflix_Fotor2.jpg

I have the picture settings the same for all inputs (sharpness etc) and all picture processing is switched off on the TV - Images from my Blu Ray player via HDMI do not display the same issues. Could anyone shed any light on this issue?

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
maathoru
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 19

Re: Haloing / Edge Enhancement on YouView signal

Go to solution

ok - i have just set the tv sharpness level to 0 for YouView for best results

0 Ratings
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

That's what I like about Samsung TVs each input has its own settings.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution
Indeed. Bearing in mind that each input will have its own manufacturing tolerances so the notional settings used on one may need a slight tweak for another even when used with the same connected device.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

Personally I have found that I opt to adjust my  default TV picture settings whenever I acquire a new device including on the most recent Youview+ box where I opted to reduce the default TV sharpness setting.

There are a variety of  TV reviews and articles  out there

In this article

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/television/tv-setup-guide-14-tips-for-getting-the-best-picture-quali... it says

If you think that by increasing sharpness you'll get more detail in your TV images then you're probably going to be disappointed. Out of the box the sharpness on all presets will invariably be set too high. Look at black text on a light background: does it have a white glow or ring around it? This extra emphasis improves legibility when viewed at a distance but does not improve detail, it actually obscures it. And on a 4K TV, meant to be viewed larger/closer, this is a particular no-no. Often Sharpness should be no higher than 10/15 on the adjustable gauge.

0 Ratings
maathoru
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

I'm disappointed that turning the sharpness down to 0 on the YouView input on the samsung does not completely eradicate haloing on the image - it's very subtle and stands out more when there are areas of high contrast on the screen - the overall effect gives the image a slightly more artificial quality than the equivalent on the tvs freeview signal. It's not there on the blu ray input - I've been trying to find a solution to this everywhere but am stuck. One possible solution may be to find a way to soften the image on the TV but so far have not found a way to do this - I've seen some posts suggest that renaming the input can open up new options but not sussed that one yet.

0 Ratings
maathoru
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

OK - finally - I did  a factory reset on the youview box and it has got rid of the problem - fingers crossed I hope it stays sorted

0 Ratings
Highlighted
maathoru
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

Haloing is back again - starting to feel lilke i'm losing my marbles here

0 Ratings
maathoru
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

I've found that setting the output of the YouView box to 1080i instead of 1080p gives better results - give it a go it you are having similar issues with your setup

0 Ratings
maathoru
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

Ultimately the only way to address this issue is to reboot the box which takes a good few minutes - this will eradicate or at the very least lessen the halo effect but it does return eventually for some reason and I have to reboot again

0 Ratings