Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maathoru
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 19

Re: Haloing / Edge Enhancement on YouView signal

Go to solution

I have finally worked out what is causing this problem - it is the NETFLIX app and only the NETFLIX app - everytime I watch something on NETLFIX and then exit it the video signal on the youview box becomes artificially sharpened and displays haloing. I have tried this on two seperate youview boxes on my TV and in both cases I get the same results. No other app or catch up player gives me this effect. The only way to get rid of the excessive sharpness once NETFLIX has been watched is to reboot the box. I will be trying this on a neighbours TV tomorrow to see if it is different on another brand of TV - mine is a samsung.

0 Ratings
maathoru
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 19

Go to solution

vid i've done to illustrate problem for youview tech https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKD_4ZdJIog&feature=em-upload_owner

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 19

Go to solution
Good find. Using Netflix on the youview box should be avoided as the output is fixed to 50hz and is better to use the inbuilt apps in your to if you have it.
I have compared the quality and the difference is significant
0 Ratings
maathoru
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 19

Go to solution

That's would be cool but the TV is not a smart TV so no go for me there. I'm aware that netflix outputs movies at their native 24p which is one of the things I like best about it - no speedup to meet broadcast regulations. The judder you get from the 25p YouView output I can live with, of course it would be better without it. The actual image quality is pretty good though especially compared to Sky's NowTV movies which are both sped up by 4% and visually just look pretty bad. I would get rid of it but my girlfriend likes it. The worst thing about Netflix though that drives me round the bend is the sound going out of synch which happens a lot. That is one thing that NowTV has going for it, the sound is always in synch.

One of the things that would concern me if I was YV or BT is that if this haloing problem affects all their boxes then anyone who watches netflix even one time and never hard reboots will have the quality of their image compromised. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 19

Go to solution

First  let me say I don't have Netflix so cannot comment based on any practical experience of using that player on the Youview box.

I notice in your earlier post you also experienced haloing on a Netflix program .... Is it a case of when you first use Netflix the picture is fine but should you close the player and subsequently open the player again you get the halo effect as with all other players and channels ?

If you leave your Youview box powered on but power off the TV and subsequently power back on make any difference ?

0 Ratings
maathoru
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 19

Go to solution

Hi Zulu - that is exactly what happens when you drop out and back into netflix again. In fact it was this fact that made me realise that Netflix was to blame. The audio drops out of sync from time to time on netflix (which I also wish they would fix btw) and I would remedy this by dropping out of netflix and then going into it again, I would actually just turn the box off and on again with the remote and reopen netflix. This would fix the audio sync but I noticed that it also produced haloing in the netflix image - the penny finally dropped that netflix was to blame. Before this I had done everything I could think of to fix the problem, turning the TV off and on with the YV box on as you say, checking all the hdmi settings, changing the hdmi input settings etc etc - nothing would work.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 19

Go to solution

Hi @maathoru

Thanks for your posts and welcome back!

Can you send us in some details so that I can get our TV guys to take a look at this?  Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
maathoru
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 19

Go to solution

Hi - I'm writing this because I really miss using Netflix - to clarify. I received a phone call from a BT technician months ago to tell me that they had recreated the problem I describe but they could not guarantee when it might be fixed. I unsubscribed shortly afterwards as the issues I was experiencing were making Netflix a chore to use on YouView. Fast forward to now - I have been tentatively hoping that the upgrade to the new YouView system in HTML5 may possibly have some effect on these issues so I've resubscribed in advance (I have a DTRT2100) and also just to see if anything has changed. Sadly nothing has changed and I get exactly the same issues as before. The tipping point that made me unsubscribe was realising that it doesn't matter how little video feed from netlfix you watch you will get this effect. So if I watch 30 seconds of a film and I decide I want to watch something else it will happen. Also if I watch a series and I want to watch the next episode it will happen. So in effect I can only watch one episode or one film first click then have to reboot my box to return it to the proper quality image afterwards. This problem is exasperated by netflix audio going out of synch which can sometimes be fixed by going out of Netflix and going back into it again. I should say that the BT representative I talked to on the phone confirmed to me that Netflix was causing a drop in quality of the video signal from the YouView box not applying sharpening per se as I have been saying in my descriptions. I've written about this on other YouView forums and no-one else has been able to correlate what I am saying so perhaps this is an issue exclusively with BT YouView - possibly. I do miss using Netflix, I am hoping that the html5 system you are introducing may allow you to tweak whatever code needs tweaking more simply.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
maathoru
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 19

Go to solution

I though I would try and check out Netflix again today because of some new advertising on BTTV channel 333 - just to see if any changes have been made and no this problem has still not been fixed - on the plus size at least I can use Amazon Prime now without the issues i raised in this post. I was told by someone at BT that this issue had been flagged and was a due for a fix very soon - this was probably more than a year ago now - shame.

0 Ratings