cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4KTVFan
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Have updates for BT youview stopped?

One for the Mods on here, hoping you can come back with a proper answer on this.

The last youview update released for BT youview boxes was way back on 23rd July 2018, and was version 31.28.0.

We are now approaching the end of October 2018 and many original youview features, such as Discover have now been released for Retail boxes, but not for BT boxes.

Can I just ask I direct question, and hope to have a direct answer, is Discover ever going to return on youview BT boxes?

Discover was a feature of youview that made me pick BT TV, however, when the next-gen UI came out and Discover was gone, it was implied that people shouldn't worry because these features would be coming back.

To prove this I include a link to a typical review of BT TV from April 2017 where it was always implied that Discover was coming back, the review even included a screen shot of the new youview interface, BT TV logo, and the Discover feature clearly shown in the menu (screen below).

http://www.seenit.co.uk/in-depth-software-sound-and-content-we-take-a-look-at-bts-updated-tv-service...

BT_TV_Menu_2017.jpgDiscover feature on BT TV

I believe Retail boxes got the Discover feature back in February 2018, so BT are now months behind.

I really do feel BT TV have mislead people about what features would be available after the transition to next-gen.

Is the lack of software updates an indication of BT slowing giving up on the youview platform?

23 REPLIES
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 24

Re: Have updates for BT youview stopped?

I really do feel BT TV have mislead people about what features would be available after the transition to next-gen.

Why? What did they promise?

0 Ratings
4KTVFan
Contributor
Message 3 of 24

I think my posting and link pretty much explains that...

But I would love to hear from other BT TV users about what they feel.

Niko1
Contributor
Message 4 of 24

I was really looking forward to discover. Maybe it doesn't showcase what's on BT TV, and that's why it's omitted from the BT box software. Guess we will never know.

In any case, it would be nice to at least keep up with retail software.
0 Ratings
4KTVFan
Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Just as an update to my original post... here is yet another link to a review of the BT youview service by David Ludlow on 12 Dec 2016 at ExpertReviews.

David gave the BT box and new interface a ExpertReviews Recommend Award.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/pvrs/1403759/bt-ultra-hd-youview-box-review-4k-in-t...

However, yet again, the Discover feature was clearly shown next to the BT Player in the review screen shots.

1_bt_tv_menu.jpgI

It feels like the reviews and awards that BT got for their next-gen software was based upon a version of the software that has NEVER been released to the public.

I will continue to edit and update this post with further links...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 24

I do not believe that the image posted is a real screenshot , it looks more like a mock up image that somebody has produced given that the Settings tab that has been present since the launch of next Gen on all platforms is missing. 

0 Ratings
4KTVFan
Contributor
Message 7 of 24

All the images I have posted I have taken from the review sites... and I have always provided links to the sites...

The image may well be a mock up, but if it is, it would have been a mock up from youview/BT and would have been supplied to the review sites by them as part of the press pack...

Let me make something quite clear, I am not posting references to youview reviews, only BT TV youview reviews... I believe at the time BT TV sent out these images and clearly indicated that missing features would be coming back, and that the subsequent reviews where based upon these promises.

To my knowledge BT TV have never corrected these reviews or publicly said that the Discover feature would not be supported.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 24

well if I look at this link from a Bt source 

http://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-news/bt-tv-is-set-to-get-even-bigger-and-better-in-2017-11364118819650

there is a similar image again not a real screenshot but  Discover is NOT present on the Youview menu.

0 Ratings
4KTVFan
Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Yes, that is correct.

The software launched without several features, and reviews of the actual LIVE software were missing those features, and the screen shots reflected this, there is no misunderstanding around that point, youview next-gen launched WITHOUT the Discover feature.

However, my point is that it was publicly announced that youview nex-gen WOULD LAUNCH WITH MISSING FEATURES... BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE MISSING FEATURES WOULD RETURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's now nearly a year and a half later, and still no Discover feature on BT Boxes, I can't make my point any clearer than that....

I quote the seenit review...

"YouView and BT say removed features will reappear in a subsequent update but it’s a shame they weren’t ready for the initial roll-out as this has dented the overall experience for some users."

stereohaven
Contributor
Message 10 of 24

My hunch is that they have limited dev resource and the releases have stopped due to other priorities being worked on. Exceptionally frustrating but often the case where marketing is selling what can't be delivered.

Some 4K UHD users are still waiting for Prime Video (I say some because for me, without HDR support it is useless compared to my TV app, much like Netflix), and I would bet they are having to do a lot of work trying to get the full NOW TV integration that was promised working for early 2019. 

I have access to a retail box and find "Discover" OK, I can see how it would work well for some, but I sort of know what I want to watch so don't miss it personally on my BT boxes. 

Hopefully they don't release everything that YouView retail does, mini synopsis in the guide fixes a problem no one had! Smiley LOL

0 Ratings