Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Help Please - Box won't connect to internet

Go to solution

Morning All, 

Looking for some help as I can't work out whats happening. 

We have a youview box, connected to a homehub 4 via BT broadband extenders / powerlines. 

If I log into the Hub 4 I can see the humax box listed as connected. 

However on the youview box i'm told it is not possible to connect to the internet. 

So it's connecting to the router but not making the next step to the internet. 

All other devices in the house are connecting to the internet fine - xbox, iphones, firestick 

Done a hard reset of the box - still no joy. During set up I was told it couldn't connect to the internet, reset router etc, same message - kept trying and trying and eventually it worked. 

Had the router on and off, reset, still no joy. 

Edit - connected the box via ethernet directly to the router & connected straight away - so the issue lays with the powerline / bt extenders - any suggestions?!

Any suggestions?!

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: Help Please - Box won't connect to internet

Go to solution

If it's the UHD box then you are not supposed to use powerline adapters, you can get long UTP cables from ebay for little money so I'd look into that.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

It's not the UHD one just one of the standards. 

I connected via ethernet and it worked. 

I reset the extenders and it connected! 

All was good. 

Until the next day. When it stoped connecting again 😞 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT TV Expert
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

Hello @Dan_1981

It could be the powerlines causing an issue, it's worth ensuring they are not connected into extensions sockets and are on the same ring main. If you are still having an issue with them, are you able to test, even on a temporary basis, with an ethernet cable?

If you need any further help or support, please Private Message me your home phone number or account number and I'll be in touch.

Martin.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

Start at the beginning.  Unplug and take the 2 powerline items out. Switch everything else back on - all should be well, if you wish, use ethernet cables to prove internet connections. Now remove ethernet cables. Put each powerline into a free socket directly , and use the powerthru socket to connect other devices. Now connect an ethernet cable from Hub to nearest powerline device. Then connect an ethernet cable from second powerline to the Youview box. NB ensure you are not disturbing ethernet between Hub and any wifi box you may have. If you can select a SKY or internet service available via YOUVIEW on the tv. You should see activity on the lights on powerline boxes. It should all be working. If not were the 2 powerline boxes sync'd before you started ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

OK - to update. 

Unplugged all three of extenders plus the homespot wifi point. 

Connected youview box and router via ethernet and all good. Connected immedietly. 

Relinked two of the extenders and restarted the homehub and vision box. 

Connected box via extender. No problem at all. Worked perfectly for the rest of the day.

Left the rest of the extenders unplugged and changed nothing. 

Next day. 

Vision box now only shows one blue light & has lost connection. 

Restarted again & box now shows two blue lights but still does not have an internet connection. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

I assume that the Youview box is getting it's IP address from the HomeHub using DHCP.

Try manually assigning the Youview's IP address within the Youview box itself , but outside of the range used for DHCP.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

@Martin--W - thanks - have dropped you a PM

@TimCurtis - apologies - getting a little outside my ability now - happy to do it but not sure how! 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

Bit tricky for me to give precise instructions as I don't use a HomeHub and my Youview boxes are on the old version software.

Hopefully someone with a similar setup could help more.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

Quick update.....

Messaged @Martin--W who identified that the PLA's that we were using (BT supplied & promoted alongside the TV when you sign up) don't like working with the TV!

He sent a replacement set out FOC within 24 hours - plugged them in and they work perfectly. 

All seems good at the moment 

Many thanks to Martin-ww and everyone else who offered help. 

0 Ratings