Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wheel_nut
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 17

How do I access BT Sports Channels?

Go to solution

I have a BT YouView Humax Box on a Vision Essentials contract.

I am NOT on Infinity and it is not available to my exchange.

How can I access the BT Sports Channels?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
keendartfan
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: How do I access BT Sports Channels?

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Wheel_nut
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution
Thanks Keendartsfan. I have posted a question in that thread asking:

"can anybody tell me why the YouView Box cannot receive the BT Sport Channels without Infinity.

Since the BT Vision Box can operate over normal Copper Broadband connection and receive the BT Sports Channels, what is it that is constraining this operating on the YouView Box?"

I will continue any discussion there.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution
Vision + has a CI slot for a viewing card allowing it to decode channels that are encrypted (BT Sport). YV doesn't so it can't decrypt the channels. YV gets its BT sport over the Internet and basically us non infinity customers are not important enough for BT. They couldn't easily allow us access to it but they simply don't want to.
0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

@benwiddowson wrote:
Vision + has a CI slot for a viewing card allowing it to decode channels that are encrypted (BT Sport). YV doesn't so it can't decrypt the channels. YV gets its BT sport over the Internet and basically us non infinity customers are not important enough for BT. They couldn't easily allow us access to it but they simply don't want to.

Is utterly incorrect.

The YouView software cannot handle live channels over non-multicast connections, and multicast is only available on the BT network at Infinity enabled exchanges. 

0 Ratings
cactusbob
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

It's not entirely incorrect. BT could easily allow multicast over ADSL should they choose to. They however want to sell Infinity packages so by restricting it to fibre this will go some way to achieving this aim. They also want to be able to provide some guarantee of quality for these streams so by restricting it to a broadband product that should achieve higher speeds they can do this. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution
In which case how do Talk Talk provide them? By provide them I am aware that BT Sport is not on talk talk tv but was generally referring to live channels. As others have said the technology is there and ready it's purely a cost factor that's stopping them, oh and wanting to push infinity. That's all well and good but those who can't get infinity have no option but to get the channels via sky or miss out on a third of the package and take them over DTT.
0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

@benwiddowson wrote:
In which case how do Talk Talk provide them? By provide them I am aware that BT Sport is not on talk talk tv but was generally referring to live channels. As others have said the technology is there and ready it's purely a cost factor that's stopping them, oh and wanting to push infinity. That's all well and good but those who can't get infinity have no option but to get the channels via sky or miss out on a third of the package and take them over DTT.

TT's channels appear in their player app, not in the EPG. Moving them out is reliant on a software update. And TT's channels are also streamed over multicast so you'd still need to live in a multicast area, which on BT's network means living in an Infinty area and as Infinty costs pretty much the same as ADSL, why would you stream the channels over a slower broadband connection? 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution
It may cost the same but the coverage as we all know is much higher. TT offer TT tv in my area but were likely to rely on bduk in order to get fibre. I can see why Bt have gone down this approach but surely making Bt sport at least available by adsl multicast would of been sensible. I say this knowing nothing about the costs of said technology. Is unicast not an option? I mean for how often most people would watch it would it cost significantly more than the OD stuff?
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution
As a non infinity customer I'd be happy to access the channels via a player in the short to medium term.
0 Ratings