cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
NeilJonesOnline
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

How do I get Max / UHD Package and UHD Box?

When I originally took out my BT TV package 18 months ago I was told that my broadband speed was too low for them to allow me to subscribe to the UHD package.  It's now time to renew, and I'm hoping that there's now a way around this.  Given the limited current UHD offerings, it's actually the extra channels and the larger capacity box I'm after, if I can't actually stream UHD then I'm not too bothered (My 30Mbps when the wind's in the right direction is just about enough I think)  - Is there a good way to approach BT for this, or have they seen sense and revised their policy?

Thanks,

Neil 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES
stereohaven
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: How do I get Max / UHD Package and UHD Box?

My understanding is the minimum line speed to get the UHD package (and the 4K box), is 44mb.

I have just started my service and the line maxes out at 38mb, so I could only order Max HD and get the normal YouView box.

I believe you can buy the 4K box from another source and use it instead of the supplied box if you wish, you just can’t get it as part of a BT package unless you exceed the 44mb threshold.

NeilJonesOnline
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Thanks, so it looks like nothing's changed then - that's disappointing. Even if I did buy the 4K box from elsewhere, I'd still not get the extra channels.

Is there really no way round this?
0 Ratings
stereohaven
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

The Max HD package is identical to the Max package, it just doesn’t have the 4K BT Sport channel, so yes you can get what you want.

0 Ratings
NeilJonesOnline
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

OK, well that's a positive (didn't see the Max HD package in their deals though) - but still would prefer the extra capacity of the UHD box (without having to pay through the nose for one) and the *chance* of being able to stream 4K content

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

They offer you Max HD when you try and order 4K but realise you are under the 44mb threshold.

I’m not sure how the order/upgrade process would work for an existing customer.

0 Ratings
benwiddowson
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

Max HD comes with the UHD box now just not the UHD channel
0 Ratings
stereohaven
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Well I went live yesterday and didn’t get a 4K box which is what I originally wanted. If that’s the case, who do I complain to?
0 Ratings
benwiddowson
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

I ordered mine over the phone with BT who stated that a new MaxHD subscription comes with the 1tb box. I’ve since upgraded to Max (including UHD) as I had a new line and had to take max while the wholesale checker updated.
stereohaven
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

To bring this full circle, I have just finished a chat with a nice guy in Accrington who confirmed that the 4K box is now standard for Max and Max HD customers and that I have been sent the wrong one.

4K box is due to arrive on Friday. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings