cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeopleIknow
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

How do I get my BT Youview Box activated so I can watch Feat The Waling Dead?

I have owed a BT YouView box for over 18 months (bought off eBay) but only 2 weeks ago switched to BT.

Can anybody tell me and more importantly BT how do I get my BT Youview Box activated so I can watch Fear The Waling Dead, as nobody at BT knows how to do it, despite the fact that it states you can on their Website & in an email I’ve received?

If you have the time & are interested below is a synopsis of by dealings with BT so far:

On the 21th August I switch to BT Infinity from PlusNet, at the time I didn’t sign up for BT-TV as they offered nothing I was interested in.

Last week seeing the adverts for Fear the Walking Dead, I wish I had, then I though I wonder if I can watch it on the box I own…I checked, clicked on the Blue YouView button and there it was, the BT Logo (it wasn't there prior to joining BT), I clicked on it, up popped the message please wait loading,  unfortunately I was only greeted with information telling me how good it was and I should go to BT.com/player for further info. Unfortunately I just get an error message saying ‘this page is currently unavailable’!!!

So Saturday morning I phone BT, spoke with a lady who told me that I couldn’t use by currently box and would have to have a new box, I protested so she went away and checked with BT-TV Tech’s and came box with the same answer I had to have a new box. After haggling over the price as they initially wanted £49 (only £14 when I joined BT two weeks ago) she agreed to £14.

I then received an email confirming the purchase and contained with its content was the following statement:

Using BT TV
To use BT TV, you'll need a BT Vision+ box, a YouView box from us or a box that's compatible with YouView (which we haven't supplied).

Clearly this lady was wrong. I called back this morning and spoke with a gentleman, who could not grasp what I wanted, and after 15 minutes and trying to explain I give it up as a bad job.

At lunchtime I tried their complaints line, again the gentleman couldn’t grasp what I wanted just kept repeating my box was due to be delivered on Thursday. I asked for his supervisor or somebody with technical knowledge, he duly put me through to technical who was no better at grasping that all I wanted was to watch BT-TV on the BT YouView box I already own; then after many attempts at rephrasing my problem he suggested I return my box to it’s factory setting and in the process loose I my recording….Not going to happen!!

So if anybody know how I get BT-TV activated on the box I already own it would be much appreciated.

Thanking You in advance.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: How do I get my BT Youview Box activated so I can watch Feat The Waling Dead?

Is "Fear the Walking Dead " on a channel which is only available as part of a package from BT or is it just a free to air freeview channel. If it is part of a package, then this might be thge reason you can not view it.

[edit]

spotted this:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/54408/~/amc-on-bt-tv

looks like you might need a TV package  and it is viewable via the BT Player

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
davgille7
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

Re: How do I get my BT Youview Box activated so I can watch Feat The Waling Dead?

If your new box is due for delivery Thursday, then your BT TV service probably has not started yet. You should have an email with these details. "Your new BT TV starts on: 03 Sep 2015". When I first ordered BT TV it was over a week later before it was activated. Once your BT TV is activated you will be able to go into BT player on your 18 month box and activate the channels you ordered. Then keep your new £14 box for freeview in another room or spare just incase the old one ever breaks.

0 Ratings
PeopleIknow
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Thanks, yes kinda hopeing that's what will happen, fingers crossed.

Its just frustrating that nobody at BT have any idea how the services they are selling actually work, if they had they could have saved themselves a box and all the associated costs of getting it to me as I'm sure the £14 activation charge would still have applied.....and they say the public sector waste money!!

as for the BT box, already have freeview in all rooms, so it will be either into the lost or on eBay.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

When the new box turns up, you stick it in a cupboard as a spare, then plug your existing box into the Home Hub (or other multicast-compatible home router).

0 Ratings
PeopleIknow
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Thanks, yes 332 on my box is the new AMC channel, and I've taken out a (free) BT-TV package which includes AMC, so hopefully once the new box comes Thursday and its activated I'll be able to use my old box instead, if it works I'll have a spare BT box Smiley Happy

0 Ratings