cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FlexiPack
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

How reliable are the YouView boxes?

My parents want to cancel Sky because of the cost. I think was thinking of recommending a BT YouView box to them but what I've read about failed recordings, lost recordings and the boxes freezing up in various forums has made me wary. Reliability is very important for my parents I don't want them to be stuck in an 18 month contract with a box that isn't reliable.

So what I'm wondering is, are these instances of failed recordings, lost recordings, box freezing a case of a few bad boxes or are these common problems?

Thanks.

Gaz

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
sirjamesp
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: How reliable are the YouView boxes?

I guess it's fair to say that forums like this are always going to give a false impression in terms of box reliability, given that this is the place to which we come with problems...!

That said, the odd box reset does seem to be required more often than it should for a consumer item. And the catch-up players (4od and Channel 5 / Milkshake in particular) are a little flaky.

And compared to the Sky box, Youview is *very* slow and clunky; the software is nowhere near as slick as Sky's.
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 11

Your parents could just drop back to a Sky+ record only package for £10.50pm.

With that you can record all the "free" channels but lose the catchup, depending how important that function. The Sky boxes are far more robust & significantly quicker that the YouView box.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

If I was make a personal judgement - out of 10 ....  7 or more is a respectable marking.

Reliability 7

EPG (channel guide) 5 (slow and customization options limited)

Recording management 5 (setuip/access of recordings)

Accuracy of Recording 7  

Quality of internet channels 9

Range of channels available 7  

On Demand Players -  

BT Vision on demand/catchup quality 7   -   range of programs in On Demand packs 4

Now TV 7  (lower quality and less options than other devices)

4OD,Demand5 ,Milkshake,ITV Player, Dave on Demand, BBC Iplayer - Insufficient use to comment - adverts a pain on 4OD  & Demand 5 .

Overall a average PVR (but it should be a great PVR given the time and investment put into Youview) - Internet channels (even SD ones) are impressive quality. Package deals which include a free Youview box are competatively priced (although your new broadband might be a 18 month contract the TV package component is normallly only a 12 month commitment)

If you are considering -- ensure that you have reasonable aerial reception so that you have access to the full range of freeview channels - ensure that you can  have Infinity broadband so you can receive the internet channels - ensure that you consider where your broadband router (HomeHub) will be and how it will connect to your TV.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 11

I've had Sky, Humax Freesat, the original BT silver then black box and now YouView.
I find mine to be 98% reliable to have a more pleasing interface than Sky's EPG.
Think Guardian and Mirror as a comparison.
It can be slow but that doesn't bother me.
I love it. Even if I leave BTTV I would buy a YouView box without hesitation.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Starman
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

I have only had my BT YouView box for a couple of weeks so far and yes the interface is rather slow compared to Sky but IMO its about the same as VM STB I've had in the past if not faster.

I have yet to have ANY failed recordings but I can confirm that I have a good signal and no issue with breaking up. The quality from Freeview channels SD/HD is IMO generally better quality over Sky. The Internet channels via BT Infinity are MUCH higher quality compared to Sky.

----
BT Infinity (EASTF) 58.93/15.94 Mbps [IP Profile: 60.8/20 Mbps] using Openreach Modem & Billion BiPAC 7800N

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

I agree and ought to have said that as well - the picture quality is higher quality than I ever saw via Sky.

Helpful Post?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
FlexiPack
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Thanks for your replies folks. Those of you who have compared it to Sky boxes, are you comparing YouView to Sky HD boxes or Sky SD boxes when it comes to speed and picture quality? My parents only have Sky SD and it isn't very fast. I wouldn't call it slow but then again I've never compared it to a Sky HD box.

I didn't realise you could pay Sky £10.50 per month to retain the ability to record free-to-air channels. I guess in effect this turns iit into a Freesat box. That would be quite handy if it weren't the fact that their current Sky SD box is a bit a dodgy and I don't think it's got much life left in it. 

I must admit I'm in two minds now regarding the YouView box. We have a pretty decent OTA signal. Is there a cooling off period in which you can cancel your contract with BT? (In case I get a box that's not reliable)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 11

I am comparing it to Sky HD boxes.
No cooling off period.
Really it will be just fine two of my daughters gave them and they are trouble free.

Helpful Post?
0 Ratings
pixmate
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

I got my YouView Box in November 2013 and I'm not very happy with it. The box locks up at least once a day. The menus are slow. Catchup TV is very slow connecting and tend to breakup quite often even though I have a wired connection and fast Infinity. My laptop and tablet plays it perfectly using the same wired connection. Text does not work at all.

I have been told to reset my box which I have done and it seemed to solve some of the problems for a short time but they are all back again so it really didn't cure anything. I can't try another reset as I have a lot of recorded programs which I want to keep and there is no way to copy them to a USB drive like my Panasonic PVR allows.

Basicly this is the worst thing I have very bought and I will be cancelling the subscription as soon as my year is up unless a updated firmware comes out and solve my problems.

I have no problem with the quality of the normal TV channels but the web ones are poor like an old VHS picture and not really worth watching unless you have a small screened TV.

0 Ratings