cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 33

Re: IPC6023 #2

You would need a managed or "smart" Ethernet switch to allow the multicast data to be passed. Most unmanaged switches will not do IGMP snooping, and pass the data to the YouView box, and stop BT Sport and any of the extra channels.

If you are using an old router as a switch, then its not going to work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 33

mattswain24 wrote:

just purchased a new router from curry’s this was £19. 

What did you need that for, the home hub is the only router you need?

If you just need more Ethernet ports, then an Ethernet switch ia all that is needed. If you need more wirleless coverage, then a wireless access point is what you need.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 33

mattswain24 wrote:

just purchased a new router from curry’s this was £19. 

Return it and ask if you can swap it for an unmanaged switch, odds on that's the cause of your problem. 

You can prove it if you have a long enough lead simply by connecting direct to the main hub

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 33

Keith_Beddoe wrote:

You would need a managed or "smart" Ethernet switch to allow the multicast data to be passed. Most unmanaged switches will not do IGMP snooping, and pass the data to the YouView box, and stop BT Sport and any of the extra channels.

With respect Keith, I beg to differ. I use an unmanaged switch with my own setup with no problems.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 33

V_Meldrew wrote:

Keith_Beddoe wrote:

With respect Keith, I beg to differ. I use an unmanaged switch with my own setup with no problems.

Some unmanaged switches are "smart" switches. Which one is it that you are using?

There is a thread relating to this issue. https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/BT-Sport-4K-problems-with-NOW-TV-SMART-box/m-p/1...

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 33

Keith_Beddoe wrote:

V_Meldrew wrote:

Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Some unmanaged switches are "smart" switches. Which one is it that you are using?

There is a thread relating to this issue. https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/BT-Sport-4K-problems-with-NOW-TV-SMART-box/m-p/1...

Mine's a Netgear GS608

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 33

The Netgear GS608 is a smart Ethernet Switch. It looks at the layer 2 tags, and not just the physical MAC address like cheap network switches do.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/GS608/GS605_608_datasheet_13May2004.pdf

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 33

Keith_Beddoe wrote:

The Netgear GS608 is a smart Ethernet Switch. It looks at the layer 2 tags, and not just the physical MAC address like cheap network switches do.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/GS608/GS605_608_datasheet_13May2004.pdf

Only to layer 2, multicast utilises layer 4

0 Ratings
mattswain24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 33

The viewboxs works with catchup tv. Just live bt sport not working
0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 33

mattswain24 wrote:
The viewboxs works with catchup tv. Just live bt sport not working

Before we go any further could you confirm your network setup please. Based on your previous posts I believe it to be as follows:-

Your main hub (the one with the internet connection) connects to a secondary hub via powerline adapters and your youview box is connected by cable to the secondary hub. Is this correct and what hubs are you using?

0 Ratings