Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
colincase
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 109

Re: IPC6023 - Advanced Diagnosis

Update:------------------

VLC does NOT work properly

after 260-odd seconds it stops receiving the stream - just repeats the last block (forever?) making it look like it is working.

It stops receiving after 6475 video blocks

So maybe not the box?

Either HH3 or the stream itself?

Is there a setting in HH3 that lets the stream through?

0 Ratings
colincase
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 109

Does this log extract from HH3 give a clue? 192.168.1.67 is the box - what is TIME_Wait? Where is it set? Does it happen to be 256 seconds?

Or totally wrong tree? I have no idea what I'm talking about really.

14:57:03, 12 Aug.IN: ACCEPT [57] Connection closed (Port Forwarding: TCP 192.168.1.67:3558 <-->86.150.131.59:3558 [109.228.191.6:55263] TIME_WAIT/CLOSED ppp1 NAPT)
14:56:33, 12 Aug.IN: ACCEPT [57] Connection closed (Port Forwarding: TCP 192.168.1.67:3558 <-->86.150.131.59:3558 [89.22.164.168:53039] TIME_WAIT/CLOSED ppp1 NAPT)
14:56:02, 12 Aug.IN: ACCEPT [54] Connection opened (Port Forwarding: UDP 192.168.1.67:3558 <-->86.150.131.59:3558 [109.228.191.6:57775] ppp1 NAPT)
14:56:02, 12 Aug.IN: ACCEPT [54] Connection opened (Port Forwarding: TCP 192.168.1.67:3558 <-->86.150.131.59:3558 [109.228.191.6:55263] CLOSED/SYN_SENT ppp1 NAPT)
0 Ratings
BritPop
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 109

Hi Colin,

I've got almost exactly the same problem that you have. BT Infinitiy with HomeHub 3.

The YouView+ box stops after about 5 mins or so and gives the IPC6023 message (press OK, then OK again and it starts working fine for another 5 mins or so). VLC works for a similar amount of time then freezes (stop and start and it works OK again).

Very frustrating!

If you every find a solution please do let us know.

Regards,

0 Ratings
Dave123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 109

Hi, just a quick question on VLC.  I can stream video from the test channel when using ethernet on my laptop, but will not run when using my normal wireless connection to a HH5.  Does this mean that multicast is not supported over a wireless connection?

Thanks Dave

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 25 of 109

colincase, PritBop,

I'm not in the office at the moment but will have a think about what could be going wrong.

Dave123,

The BT HomeHub's do not support IGMP routing over the wireless interfaces.

Steve

colincase
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 109

Thanks for keep trying to help Steve - appreciate you do it in your own time.

I thought I had fixed it - turned HH3 off and also box.

Then turn HH3 back on - it restarted itself about 4 or 5 times - I was worried it would never get going! But it settled down OK after ten minutes or so.

Then turned the box back on at its main switch.

Normal long start-up but once alive the problem had gone away. I could watch any internet channel for AGES - I even watched a National Geographic trailer for 90 minutes! (or at least just left it running). VLC would work.

It would timer record - all the programme, not just the first 4 minutes or so.

But then for no apparent reason the problem just came back. All internet channels just get stuck after 4mins 20secs - absolutely reliable and repeatable. It must be the HH3 because VLC does the same even if the box is disconnected from the network.

I am concluding that I need a HH5 - or give in and send the lot back.

I just don't understand why BT do something different to YouTube, iPlayer etc - so many other people can make video streams work - why not just use the same system?!

Too many technicians - must think of something clever to do! And we are payng for it! Sat Providers must be laughing their heads off on the way to the bank.

From a very dejected "Race to Infinity" winner.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 27 of 109

@colincase wrote:

I just don't understand why BT do something different to YouTube, iPlayer etc - so many other people can make video streams work - why not just use the same system?!

Too many technicians - must think of something clever to do! And we are payng for it! Sat Providers must be laughing their heads off on the way to the bank.

From a very dejected "Race to Infinity" winner.

Normal on-demand services over the broadband (including catch-up) are delivered using unicasting. This allows flexibility from the users point of view as they can decide what to watch and when to watch it, but it is pretty inefficient when it comes to the use of available bandwidth across the whole network as each user has their own unique connection/stream across the network delivery path.

Linear TV channels over the broadband are delivered using multicasting. This allows single streams to be shared by users across large parts of the delivery path. They are split/copied at certain points when necessary but this is kept to a minimum and done as late in the path as possible. This is much more efficient use of the available network bandwidth, but can only work on streams where the user has no control over what is shown and when (such as scheduled linear TV channels). The users just 'tune in/out' of different streams. It allows the providers to deliver very high quality pictures in full HD to millions of homes and give the users a choice of potentially hundreds of channels without the network grinding to a halt.

For unicast think of a bicycle wheel with millions of spokes coming out from the hub to millions of end points at the rim.

For multicast think of a snowflake with a few main spokes from the hub and then several layers of branching to millions of end points at the rim.

This is not something technicians at BT dreamt up alone. I believe it's the accepted solution in the global industry. For example I think TalkTalk use multicast delivery for linear TV channels.

Are Sky laughing their heads off? Well I would guess that it's a thousand times cheaper to run/maintain broadband network multicast IPTV hardware than it is to run/maintain satellites orbiting the earth! You can bet that Sky are investigating the possible impact/use of multicast technologies in future. BT have made it pretty clear in the past that they want to phase out the BT Sport delivery over the TV aerial and solely use multicast delivery to save costs. Some articles even predict that in 20 - 30 years time both the TV aerial and satellite dish could be pretty much a relic from the past when it comes to general linear TV delivery to homes in the UK. 

Distinguished Guru
Message 28 of 109

... and to complete the analogy ...

TV transmitters/aerials and satellite transmitters/dishes use broadcasting.

For broadcast think of one of those solid bicycle wheels you see in the Olympics. The TV signal is broadcast blanket fashion to all locations regardless of whether or not they are paying customers. Even cows and sheep in the fields receive a signal! Smiley LOL

Distinguished Guru
Message 29 of 109

@colincase wrote:
It must be the HH3 because VLC does the same even if the box is disconnected from the network.

Back to your immediate problem of getting multicast working properly.

There have been reports in the past of potential problems with the HH3 Type-A. Have you got a HH3 Type-A or Type-B? I think it says it on the back, and the homehub admin page should also tell you.

E.g.  https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Vision-box/Multicast-VMC011-after-4-min-16-sec/m-p/927282/highlight/t...

However, other people have had similar problems with other HomeHubs so it is obviously not the only cause. I had the multicast 256 seconds drop-out problem for a couple of weeks using a HH4 back in 2013. Solution unknown.

Distinguished Guru
Message 30 of 109

Note though that if you read on a few pages that user did eventually start getting the same problem again using the HH4. Smiley Frustrated  Eventually tracked down to a network printer compatibility issue?

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Vision-box/Multicast-VMC011-after-4-min-16-sec/m-p/1098496/highlight/...

Here was another post from a user who was advised to swap from a HH3-A. Again the HH4 didn't solve it, but interestingly them then trying a different non-BT multicast router did seem to solve it!

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Vision-box/Multicast-VMC011-after-4-min-16-sec/m-p/987964/highlight/t...