cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
colincase
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 109

Re: IPC6023 - Advanced Diagnosis

Thanks for all this technical detail - good insight into the differences between unicast and multitask - with analogies that even I can understand.

Good points too about the finances - you are right - a working IP solution must be TONS cheaper than sattelite.

But the emphasis must be on "working".

As a long-term $ky customer I have found it very reliable - and with modern easy navgation as well. The only "downside" is cost - something over £35 per month compared to £10 with BT for the channels we watch - obviously different depending on choices.

But that is a HUGE difference - so determined to work towards a solution - especially since there seems to be lots of helpful suggestions on here.

Mine is a Type A according to the label on the bottom - so may not be the best - they seem to have more issues than later ones. But that just be because there are more of them.

But onwards and upwards - I'll get stuck into further diagnosis and report abck anything I find. At least I know that if I can get it working it seems to work well - until the next time.

Thanks for your helpful comments.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 32 of 109

@colincase wrote:

Good points too about the finances - you are right - a working IP solution must be TONS cheaper than sattelite.

I did read somewhere that BT had 5,000+ exchanges of which ~1,000 were main exchanges. It also said that the multicast local hardware was being installed roughly in line with the main exchanges. So possibly a thousand times cheaper but there are a thousand of them! Smiley LOL

Broadcast definitely does still have some advantages. A single satellite can serve a very large area. All these different delivery methods have pros and cons.

Once fixed my multicast has been working very well for approx 14 months now. I have a solid Infinity connection and get no picture break up even during stormy weather. It's very similar to cable TV (it is of course coming via a cable). I do appreciate how annoying it is though when it's not working and BT level 1 support seem clueless as to the cause. I've been there.

I have a white OpenReach VDSL modem and a HH4 router. I have before tried tuning into a multicast channel on the BT TV box, then removing the router from the equation by connecting the BT TV box just directly to the white modem, and interestingly the multicast picture continues to display fine for a few minutes. The channel stream eventually gets killed off, I assume due to the lack of some sort of 'keep alive' message/response that normally comes from the router every 128 or 256 seconds?

0 Ratings
colincase
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 109

Well, I have done some tests and colclude that my HH3A loses the ability to send a "keep-alive" to the stream server.

The box and VLC check go together - if one survives longer than 256 seconds then the other will.

When the box fails, I can make it work again by switching it off (power switch), then turn off HH3A for 20 seconds or so, restart HH3A and when stable switch on box.

Then it will all work for another day or so.

So must be the HH3A.

Is a 4 or 5 any better? Is that the solution?

Waiting for email back from 1st line with suggestions.

0 Ratings
BritPop
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 109

Thanks for the replies.

I've just checked and we've got a HH3 Type A. Seems to be that this might be the problem as I get the freeze at around the 250sec mark.

Do I need to upgrade to a HH5? Is BT likely to supply this free given the problem with my current hub?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
ashtonmitchell
Beginner
Message 35 of 109

Re: IPC6023

Hi Steve

I have just got BT youview box, I use a time capsule at home as my router and the openreach box as my modem, will I be able to get the extra channels, as when I try I get the IPV6023 Error, I can't use my Homehub 5 as all our devices in the house are apple products and for some reason, they constantly disconnect from the Homehub.
0 Ratings
quails
Contributor
Message 36 of 109

@colincase wrote:

As a long-term $ky customer I have found it very reliable - and with modern easy navgation as well. The only "downside" is cost - something over £35 per month compared to £10 with BT for the channels we watch - obviously different depending on choices.

In addition to Youview BT Sport I also use on occasion use Now TV to get the Sky Sports channels for a day at around £5 for the day ... if you want to see the very definition of unreliable you should see that ! Whilst BT Sport uses multicast (one source feed many receivers), Now TV uses Unicast (one feed for every user separately sent to every single punter like iplayer) - this works fine when people are "randomly watching", but unfortunately when there is a peak in demand .... say a big football match Chelsea v Man U for example ... it fails completely, literally hundreds of thousands of people franticly rebooting their devices to desparately get it to work.

I know it doesn't help those with problems here, but the multicast design that BT uses really is the only way this kind of service can currently work with any degree of reliability at all.

0 Ratings
dfel100
Contributor
Message 37 of 109

Dear Steve

I have emailed the BT help centre at the beginning of the week, but unfortunately nobody has gotten back to me yet.

I have had the new BT Youview with extra channels for about three weeks and everything was going well until about a week ago when the extra channels (but not on demand) keep breaking up and sometimes disappearing and sometimes the IPC6023 error message appears.   I have my Youview box connected to my BT Infinity Hub via Power line adapters, but I cannot see how it could be that as it worked fine for the first two weeks.

Are you able to help?

Kind regards,

dfel100

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 109

Hi Dfel100,

I would like to take a look at this for you. Please could you send me your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
johngardner42
Aspiring Expert
Message 39 of 109

I have been following this thread with interest.

I had the IPC6023 error and could not resolve the issue . In desperation I connected my Huawei DN370T youview box. Surprisingly this box never loses internet channels. Yesterday I reconnected my G4 box and immediately got the IPC6023 error back!

The diagnosis using VLC and the test stream works perfectly. I am using Hub3 Type A.

I do not understand why the G4 box performance differs from the Huawei box,with exactly the same set up.

Back to the Huawei box  I am afraid.

0 Ratings
WendyA
Beginner
Message 40 of 109

Hi,

I posted a couple of months ago a similar problem but to date have not had much success in resolving it either via the forum or through BT tech support. Apologies for hijacking the thread and repeating my earlier post but any help would really be appreciated as I am suffering regular IPC6023 errors with no clear pattern to determine the root cause. I have a HH 3 Type B. Here's my original post:

Hi

I have had a youview box for almost a year now and the increasing number of IPC6023 messages are becoming unacceptable. I am averaging around three errors a day. Sometimes unplugging and re plugging the Ethernet cable resolves it. Sometimes a reboot of the youview box resolves it. Often it requires a frustrating router reboot.

I have a hard wired Ethernet network with the gigabit connection linked to a gigabit switch that the majority of additional devices around the home are plugged in to. The youview box is plugged directly to the HH3 Type B router. My download speed is typically 38Mb (having dropped over time from a consistent 65Mb) and upload is 10Mb.

The Ethernet cable from router to youview has been replaced. When the youview box errors, I can stream the multicast test channel via VLC on a PC so the packets seem to be getting through to my home ok. A speedtest on a different device in parallel with the error shows minimum 25Mb download speed so it does not appear to be a bandwidth limitation.

The only common factor is that it seems most prevalent when another hard wired device is live on the network. This could be a laptop, xbox, ps3 or PC. Gaming or file transfers across the network seem to affect it most. It would seem unlikely that the router could not handle this traffic and receive internet channels at the same time as the whole solution would be impractical.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wendy

0 Ratings