cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 51 of 109

Re: IPC6023 - Advanced Diagnosis

Normally the home hub would be the source of any multicast packets, so it would not make sense for the home hub firmware to allow multicast from a device on the LAN side. Actually, using the home hub as a wireless access point might be a good idea, as a stand alone wireless access point could easily get overloaded with multicast packets coming from an unmanaged Ethernet switch, unless the access point blocks them.

0 Ratings
ken2222
Aspiring Expert
Message 52 of 109

i get this error codes but not on bt sports just on moves 24 the rest off the channels are ok 

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 53 of 109

This is an issue I'd like someone who knows how multicasts work to answer.

Last night (Thursday), and on Monday, during Euro football I was getting a stream of IPC6023 errors on the football and all multicast channels on both HD & SD. Unicast streams (BBC iPlayer in HD for example) came through fine and the broadband checker on the BT tab said I was good to watch HD. The IPC6023 errors were on at 1800, but I don't know when they started. After 2200 they disappeared.

This morning I've downloaded the TSReaderLite app and it shows no continuity errors. I didn't do this during the problem last night, I wanted to watch the football! The multicast channels are all working fine (including Australian football) and I was streaming Amazon Prime, in HD simultaneously. So there appears to be nothing wrong at my end.

If there are lots of people watching the multicast streams at the same time, as with Euro football, can this degrade the signal getting through to the BT TV box (I'm using the current version with a HomeHub5a)? Is this a problem with my cabinet/exchange? How do I get it sorted? I really would like to watch BT Sport uninterrupted particularly when there is football.

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 54 of 109

I'd like Steve_M to comment on the above. I've just watched the Premier League game (Norwich v Everton) without any glitches at all. When I've checked there have been no continuity errors. Is this all because not too many other were watching or was there an exchange/cabinet fault when the Euro matches were on?

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 55 of 109

Hi ChrisB,

Drop me a PM with your details and I'll have a look for you.

There should be no reason that when multiple people are watching the same stream that packet loss is introduced. If anything, the network equipment is having an easier time as the channels are delivered using IP Multicast.

Steve

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 56 of 109

IPC6023 errors has reappeared tonight after 5 weeks absence. TSReader shows continuity errors. Does this mean that there is a problem elsewhere than my system? How do I get BT to address it?

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 57 of 109

The continuity errors have disappeared this morning without me doing anything! TSReader running for 7h with no errors. Please can someone tell me how to make BT take this seriously? Watching the football was impossible last night so I had to watch the match on the BBC.
0 Ratings
ChrisB
Expert
Message 58 of 109

The continuity errors have re-appeared with a vengeance. 10000 in the last 30 minutes. Steve_M has looked at it but hasn't offered any solutions. This is starting to look like BT TV is not worth having here. This is only affecting muticast signals, unicast via the BT TV box (and other devices) are fine. Surely there is a solution?

Who should I talk to to get a resolution?

0 Ratings
TNT555
Aspiring Expert
Message 59 of 109

Intresting. I have gone over my home network with a fine toothed comb, everything relating to BTTV or carrying BTTV is running shielded Cat6a cables and grounded. Using a multi meter i was also able to check for floating grounds in equipment on anything inter connected with shielded cable, I also replaced a few bad PSU's especially the one for my main lan network switch was floating all over the place.

I found the cable between the ECI openreach modem and router is key, to get a problem free multicast with a home hub 4, I had to put a screened coupler and ground the coupler to insure the shielded cables between the HH4 and modem where fully shielded. fortunatly my Asus RT-AC68U has sheilded ethernet port connections and it was easy to ground it via the USB sockets. Anyone with a HH4 and ECI open reach modem, I highly suguest you ask for a HH5. 

Just like @ChrisB I get perfect error free multicast TV experience ( well it doesn improve the HD picture quality to match the satellite channels ) most of the time now, but at random times affecting all channels (but the UHD channel gets hit worst of all with lots of glitches when it happens) . Now i have fixed my local network, the water heating kicking in doesn't affect anything anymore. It's a pain in the butt, I had it all the way through the Norwich V Liverpool game last week. everything Unitcat was perfect, a ping test with 300 packets google revealed zero lost packets.

I did wonder if my the box is over heating as UHD boxes get dammed hot, I now leave a slow running 12cm fan on top of the box which keeps it stone cold. I've run the boxes ethenet connection throught a grounded 10/100mbit switch to force the connection between box and router to 100mbps, and no change, it's perfect 95-99% of the time, some times it still glitches like crazy sometimes enough for IPC6023 to appear, so no difference really.

If I have a problem at my end I'm at a loss, I have no idea where it is.

I also wonder if TS reader is able to detect continuity errors on encrypted streams, or it see's the encryption as a big or many continuity errors.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 60 of 109

If you add some extra rubber feet onto the existing rubber feet the extra ventilation below the box helps to keep it much cooler.

0 Ratings