cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

ITV Hub HD?

Hi All,

I used to have BT TV some years ago but switched to Sky Q.  Q has become rediculously expensive so decided to ditch it and return to BT.  I must say things have updated somewhat, but the overall system does look a bit dated and tired. That said the system does have some features better than Q. 

Wasn't amused yesterday having only switched on Monday but the fix was easy to find and the update pushed out quickly.

Oh, ITV Hub, it still seems only SD is on offer not HD even on ITV HUB+, am I right? 

I am currently using HUB+ on prime which is HD but it would be better to use the ITV app directly for watch list etc. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: ITV Hub HD?

HD on ITV Hub and ITV 2,3&4 are behind a paywall. The same applies to Channel 4's HD content on their extra channels and On-demand services. The channels available on all terrestrial platforms, ie. Freeview and Youview are made available by the broadcasters in SD only. 

They're available in HD on Sky and Virgin Media because they own the full platform and pay extra for the HD variants. BT don't own Freeview or Youview 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for your answer, I knew all that but thanks.

What I'm asking is, ITV HUB+ via the app on BT when paid for and therefore being HUB+ is it streamed in HD?  I know via Amazon Prime HUB+ is HD as I'm using it but I'd consider switching to HUB+ via the app on BT if it was HD.

I've googled for this information but nothing. I have a sneaky feeling that HUB+ outside of Amazon Prime is just free of adverts and not in HD.

Yes I do know all ITV is HD on Sky.

Oh I should add I'm using 4+ via BT and that is HD. 

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

The ITV Hub is provided by ITV as part of their license and the charge for HD access. The ITV app are provided to Youview and Freeview as part of their OFCOM license agreement but they have no obligation to make it HD. If you want HD, you have to pay ITV a subscription or the host platform has to pay a fee as part of their carriage agreement. If BT were to enter a carriage agreement with ITV, it would make the HD app available to everyone who uses the Youview platform and would effectively be paying for everyone who uses Youview to access it, even customers of other ISP's and owners of retail boxes.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Sorry but that doesn't answer my question?

Two forms of the app are already widely offered across multiple platforms a free ITV HUB and a chargeable ITV HUB+. You can access and pay for ITV HUB+ on the BT platform. 

I am as stated prepared to pay for Hub+ via the BT platform. If I do is it then streamed in HD? That's all I'm asking its yes or no!

As stated I do pay for 4+ via the BT platform and its in HD - no problem.

I pay for Hub+ on my firestick via Amazon Prime, again streaming HD - no problem. 

But - my understanding is even if paying for HUB+ via the BT platform all you get is ad free viewing in SD. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Probably best to ask your question in a more direct manner then. If you pay ITV for access to HD via their hub, then it should play in HD but seeing as though your question is about their app functionality you'll probably be better off asking ITV themselves that question because the app is native to all Youview and Freeview boxes and not provided by BT.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Oh, no need to get uppity about it!

In my very first post I typed 

"ITV Hub, it still seems only SD is on offer not HD even on ITV HUB+, am I right?"

And post 2

"What I'm asking is, ITV HUB+ via the app on BT when paid for and therefore being HUB+ is it streamed in HD?" 

Obviously I mean via BT its a BT forum. 

How more direct could I have been?

If you didn't know the answer which now appears you don't then move on and not waffle on like the other 90 or so people who read my post and obviously didn't have an answer for me.

It was a yes/no answer.

Not to take the wind out of your sails I did contact ITV in the first instance to be advised to speak with my provider hence my first and probably only post here.

I thought it was a reasonable first time question but heh ho, life goes on Nigel.  

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

The answer is, it isn't in HD using the ITV Hub app on BT TV.

But it should be and was/is on some platforms, but might not be for much longer either.

In fact ITV have removed pretty much every reference to ITV Hub+ being in HD and now focuses on it being "ad-free" as the main bonus. 

ITV don't really care about picture quality either and never have, but the cynic in me would suggest that the only way you will get on-demand ITV content in HD in future will be when they  launch their even more expensive, shiny new platform called ITVX later this year.

With the success of ITV Hub, ITV Hub+, Planet V and BritBox we see an exciting opportunity to at least double our digital revenues to £750 million by 2026.

At its heart will be ITVX – the first integrated AVoD/SVoD streaming platform in the UK. It will be a seamless viewer experience with a digital first content and windowing strategy and significant content investment providing weekly premieres and over 15,000 hours of content at launch.

This will enable ITV to double streaming viewing, double monthly active users, double subscribers and deliver valuable addressable advertising inventory at scale.”

If it makes you feel any better, ITV Hub+ has never been in HD on Freesat either, and that is a platform that until recently they owned 50/50 with the BBC.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

STEREOHAVEN 😊

Thankyou!

That was the information I was looking for.

You are right AD FREE is publicised but finding information on HD even from ITV direct is like pulling teeth.  On the plus any decent ITV dramas etc are on Britbox quite quickly and that is HD.  Trigger Point just broadcast is an example. 

ITVX, hmmm off to take a look. 

Thanks again. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

I've found more information and added a thread here: https://community.bt.com/t5/TV-Content-including-BT-Sport/ITVX-to-replace-ITV-Hub-and-Hub/td-p/22186... 

Turns out, ITVX will replace the Hub and Hub+.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED