cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 55

Re: ITV Hub to ITVX

Except for the BT Pro Hub, all other devices in our household have updated to ITVX. 

0 Ratings
Message 42 of 55

Well  on 7th November in their official press release IT  said

“ITV today announced the official launch date of new, free streaming platform ITVX. Replacing ITV Hub as the online home of all ITV content, viewers can expect a new and improved product experience through ITVX as well as more new and exclusive programmes  to stream for free, than anywhere else.

ITVX will be rolling out across devices and platforms in the coming weeks, to ensure viewers have full access to all content, including the new, exclusive to streaming titles which will go live on Thursday 8th December.”

today 11th December ITV X official support page says

“Some platforms have not been upgraded yet.”

In approaching ITV , Youview and BT about what is happening none of the companies so far are replying.

0 Ratings
Message 43 of 55

lets add some more information to the 'mix'.

We know TV's with built in Google TV OS are compatible, except ones made by Sony.
Sony as you know uses an android based 'Youview' app which is called 'Live TV & Catchup'.

Boot this app up and you will get Youview with UI version 2 (same before the homescreen change) and obviously the blue skin. Along with it is Youview's catchup apps and in here we see the same as the BT box (almost).

Now because of this arrangement, the google app store has been modified to exclude any catchup apps and the tiles on the google home screen merely exist to boot up Youview and then run the app within.  (this only applies to iplayer, sounds, itvhub, all4, my5)

So, I decided to grab the apk file for ITVX and install it on my TV via 'other sources'. Sure enough the app installed and the tile appeared. However when I tried to run it, I was kicked out immediately stating the device doesn't have a licence to access ITVX.

This tells me that the app is indeed compatible, but youview in this instance doesn't have a licence for it. in my instance trying to cast via google using my phone also fails to that TV. (black screen yet all other apps cast fine)

I own a Sony Xperia and ITVX loads and runs just fine on it.

So:

• Sony clearly has a licence for ITVX
  • Google Clearly has a Licence for ITVX
  • The issue is with Youview
  • I suspect some legal licence issue might be preventing the app launching.
  • Other Google TV OS based TV's have it
  • Aside from SkyQ (which didn't have ITV Hub to begin with) all other known devices have it
    Virgin Media, Freesat, Select Freeview boxes, Roku, Amazon, and any TV from circa 2017 onwards running roku, android, google tv, samsung software also likely to have it (except Sony) 

so given how this is a big thing and everyone has it except skyQ and Youview... I suspect it's not a technical failure (remember itv hub was updated on youview to support newer security) but more along the lines of legalities and licencing etc, coupled with the response in this thread where support from ITV states they may look into it in the future...  could it be that as youview userbase is quite small compared to the others that ITV just aren't interested in supporting the device? 

Who knows, but certainly to see my TV as unlicenced was hilarious at best.

0 Ratings
Message 44 of 55

@biohazardx9 Great post and agree.

Its certainly disappointing that not even a time frame has been given to launch if ever. Even worse is that the so called Pro Box lags behind the rest when it comes to App inclusion. You are forced to use an alternative. 

I have just subscribed to ITVX for £3.99 a month which includes Britbox, so not a bad price. 

Using the Pro Box less and less and now using a firestick for most things.

0 Ratings
Message 45 of 55

Agree with other people find myself also using the bt box just for live tv now and using firestick for the apps, first it was disney now itvx. I do wonder if it is a bt problem or a youview issue regarding these apps. Im a big fan of Bt tv and no intention of changing but this app issue although not life changing is frustrating, and wish Bt as a major player would produce their own platform or find an alternative. It would be nice to have everything in one place but am I expecting too much.

0 Ratings
Message 46 of 55

it is a youview issue. BT don't really control the apps.

That is the issue. yes we are suffering. Annoyingly the pro box supports dolby vision yet Netflix won't update the app to support it.

it is very annoying to say the least.

0 Ratings
Message 47 of 55

Thought so you would think Bt would seek an alternative then as surely they must lose customers over it.
Message 48 of 55

My Pro box appears to have updated to itv x sort of, the itv hub app has just gone to a black icon that just says itv but when you load it it says itv x 👍

0 Ratings
Message 49 of 55

Thanks for that just checked mine, the same, no doubt the logo will come soon 😂

0 Ratings
Message 50 of 55

Great, I’ll check mine. Thanks
0 Ratings