cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 29

If I have a Vision box and YouView what happens?

If I have a black Vision box and also want a YouView box what happens?

I'm not talking about running Vision on both (as I know Multiroom is not supported). I'm asking about running the two, side by side. Vision on the black box, YouView alongside it just for non-bt on demand content.

I'm talking about keeping Vision with my black box but then obtaining a YouView box through BT. Is this possible?

And is it also possible to run a Vison box alongside a retail YouView box on ones line?

Gratefully received answers on a Mod postcard please! Smiley Happy

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 29

Re: If I have a Vision box and YouView what happens?

Yes and yes?

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 3 of 29

Hi Masona,

I've done some digging and think I've found the answer to your question,

I already subscribe to BT Vision. Can I buy a YouView box from the high street, plug it in and access BT Vision on both boxes, at no extra monthly cost?

Yes this will work. However, BT doesn't support multi-room and won't be promoting this feature for now.

I already subscribe to BT Vision – can I get YouView on my BT Vision+ box?

No, you'll need a new box to get YouView. Please note that a discounted YouView box is only available to BT Vision customers who are out of contract. The pricing details are available on the pre-registration page: www.bt.com/youview.

How much will a YouView box from BT cost?

Great news! The YouView box (£6.95 delivery) from BT is included for new customers who take 12 month subscriptions to BT Vision Essential or BT Vision Unlimited package and either BT Infinity or BT Broadband. You'll just need to pay a £49 activation fee which includes optional 'powerline adaptors' to make it easy to set the box up yourself, but if you want one of our Engineers to set it up for you, this will cost an additional £35 (but with no delivery fee).

Existing BT Vision customers can get a YouView box for the same price - £49 for the box (£6.95 delivery but no activation charge) - by renewing their BT Vision and their BT Infinity or BT Broadband contract.

BT is proud to offer our customers the Humax DTR-T1000 YouView box, worth £299 from retailers, which has received excellent reviews over the last couple of months.

Hope this answers your questions.  You have probably seen our sticky on YouView on the Vision board, but if not I've linked to it below,

YouView

YouView from BT

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 29

@SeanD wrote:

Hi Masona,

I've done some digging and think I've found the answer to your question,

I already subscribe to BT Vision. Can I buy a YouView box from the high street, plug it in and access BT Vision on both boxes, at no extra monthly cost?

Yes this will work. However, BT doesn't support multi-room and won't be promoting this feature for now.

I already subscribe to BT Vision – can I get YouView on my BT Vision+ box?

No, you'll need a new box to get YouView. Please note that a discounted YouView box is only available to BT Vision customers who are out of contract. The pricing details are available on the pre-registration page: www.bt.com/youview.

How much will a YouView box from BT cost?

Great news! The YouView box (£6.95 delivery) from BT is included for new customers who take 12 month subscriptions to BT Vision Essential or BT Vision Unlimited package and either BT Infinity or BT Broadband. You'll just need to pay a £49 activation fee which includes optional 'powerline adaptors' to make it easy to set the box up yourself, but if you want one of our Engineers to set it up for you, this will cost an additional £35 (but with no delivery fee).

Existing BT Vision customers can get a YouView box for the same price - £49 for the box (£6.95 delivery but no activation charge) - by renewing their BT Vision and their BT Infinity or BT Broadband contract.

BT is proud to offer our customers the Humax DTR-T1000 YouView box, worth £299 from retailers, which has received excellent reviews over the last couple of months.

Hope this answers your questions.  You have probably seen our sticky on YouView on the Vision board, but if not I've linked to it below,

YouView

YouView from BT

Cheers

Sean

Hi Sean,

Please can someone give more clarification on the section I have highlighted as there is a lot of confusion regarding this

See my post here regarding the different charges BT are saying current users will pay.

ie: I'm in contract till January (for Vision) and when we all upgraded Infinity in April (2012) we had to sign for another 18 months,  and on your information I should only need to pay £49+£6.95 and renew my Vision & Infinity, but for how long 12/18/24 months?

0 Ratings
jlh478
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 29

Why would you want to spend £250 minimum on a retail youview box?

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 29

@jlh478 wrote:

why would you want to pay £300+ from BT?

Some people may want the facility of having multi-room similar to sky, but can't have sky (planning regs) or just don't want sky

0 Ratings
jlh478
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 29

@walkerx wrote:

@jlh478 wrote:

Some people may want the facility of having multi-room similar to sky, but can't have sky (planning regs) or just don't want sky

But it won't be genuine multiroom because BT don't offer it.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 29

@jlh478 wrote:

@walkerx wrote:

@jlh478 wrote:

But it won't be genuine multiroom because BT don't offer it.

that is true, but some people may still want to try it - there isn't just the bt vision content, there's the catch-up and services from other suppliers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
jlh478
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 29

Yes, I know.  But £250 plus is a silly price for it.

I wonder if someone out of contract could buy a youview box for £49 from BT and then carry on using their BT vision box and use the youview box for other stuff?

0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 29

@jlh478 wrote:

I wonder if someone out of contract could buy a youview box for £49 from BT and then carry on using their BT vision box and use the youview box for other stuff?

Bingo. Yes, thats what I wanted to know. Can one have two boxes (which has been confirmed as yes and yes via a retail box) and have Vision on one or the other (which I already new).

But as SeanD stated above, BT will not allow this through them. It is technically possible, so the the question remains - why not?

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings