cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richierich10
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

If cancel BT Vision- lose ability to record live tv!

I brought a subsidised YouView box from BT when it was first launched 12 months ago paying £49 plus agreeing to 12 months of BT Vision at £5 per month. Today I went to cancel BT Vision as I never use it only to be told I'd lose the ability to record live TV! So my YouView PVR (personal video recorder) will no longer be able to R (record). I had trouble believing this was the case as how can BT stop you recording a live TV program over an aerial? 

Having spoken to 4 BT staff this does appear to be the case though.

So far from getting a 'cheap' YouView box I'm locked in to paying for BT Vision (this was offered to me at £4 per month when I said I wanted to cancel) for the rest of time I have the box if I want to be able to record live TV programs on it. If I can't record anything on it the box is useless to me.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
barnpiece
Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: If cancel BT Vision- lose ability to record live tv!

This conflicts with what is said in the follwing forum entry which seems the more likely:

http://bt.lithium.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/youview-bt-box-without-bt-broadband/td-p/942410

Why not turn it off, disconnect the broadband and turn it back on? Then you'll know if it works.

Richard

0 Ratings
Highlighted
MartinH
Expert
Message 3 of 18

@richierich10 wrote:

I brought a subsidised YouView box from BT when it was first launched 12 months ago paying £49 plus agreeing to 12 months of BT Vision at £5 per month. Today I went to cancel BT Vision as I never use it only to be told I'd lose the ability to record live TV! So my YouView PVR (personal video recorder) will no longer be able to R (record). I had trouble believing this was the case as how can BT stop you recording a live TV program over an aerial? 

Having spoken to 4 BT staff this does appear to be the case though.

So far from getting a 'cheap' YouView box I'm locked in to paying for BT Vision (this was offered to me at £4 per month when I said I wanted to cancel) for the rest of time I have the box if I want to be able to record live TV programs on it. If I can't record anything on it the box is useless to me. 

All of that is pure bullcrap.

You ONLY lose access to the BT content - the on demand and live channels - if you cancel, you do NOT lose the ability to record or access to recordings. Anyone who tells you otherwise is

a) a liar

b) poorly trained

c) too lazy to listen to to their training 

It used to be true of the old BT Vision+ box but isn't even correct for them now provided they've had the recent software update. 

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 18

Agree with Martin. That was the basis of creating a Youview design Boxes that you won't be tied to any particular ISP.
0 Ratings
richierich10
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried it but it looks like the EPG info comes over the internet not the aerial. I was therefore unable to set any program to record.

0 Ratings
richierich10
Beginner
Message 6 of 18

Thanks for your reply. I agree is seems unlikely to be true but one of the staff I spoke to was a supervisor on the BT Vision Technical Help Desk. Surely he would know?
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 18

Don't count on it.
0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 8 of 18

@richierich10 wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I agree is seems unlikely to be true but one of the staff I spoke to was a supervisor on the BT Vision Technical Help Desk. Surely he would know?

I couldn't care less if he was the BT CEO, he was still wrong. 

The YouView software doesn't have an option for BT or TalkTalk to disable core features such as record and the ability to do so would breach the conditions set down by the BBC Trust which YouView and the BBC's six partners had to agree to when the Trust approved the BBC's involvement.

It cannot happen, it will not happen and anyone who tells you otherwise is dishonest, ignorant or both. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 18

In the Ask the expert sticky thread above one of the questions was:

OK so, if I sign up to YouView with BT, what happens when my contract with BT ends? Will the box still work?

and the reply was

At the end of your contract the YouView box will still function but we hope you'll want to stay with your BT Vision subscription so you'll have access to all of our On Demand content and none of your YouView usage will count towards your broadband allowance.

Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 18

The EPG comes via the aerial. It will function perfectly well without a sub

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings