cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Impressed with mutlicast adsl

Just thought i'd right somthing positive in one of these forums for a change.

I've just had BT Sport and ESPN activated over ADSL (line is abut 6mb) and so far im really impressed. Although its only SD the picture and sound are rock solid. Its just a shame that BT dont enable the rest of the channels over ADSL multicast as this proves it will work fine. Maybe one day.

Thanks to the mods that made this happen.

Ben

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
ney
Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Impressed with mutlicast adsl

The reason BT don't do the rest of the multicast channels over ADSL is that not everyone on ADSL can get a steady line speed.

Also some areas of the country are lucky to even get over 5mb speeds with ADSL.

Before I moved to BT Infinity over 3 years ago. I never used to get a steady line speed and my speed would sometimes range from 2.7mb to near 5mb.

Darren

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

wow thats a big variable. I wonder how much its cost them to enable ADSL multicast in each exchange? I cant imagion its cheap and seems a little strange for only a few customers per exchange to use BT sport over adsl.

0 Ratings
ledgie
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Just to add, my line is ~5.5mb and I too have been really impressed.  Picture is much better than a lot of the freeview channels.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 12

@benwiddowson wrote:

Its just a shame that BT dont enable the rest of the channels over ADSL multicast as this proves it will work fine. Maybe one day.

Firstly, good to hear the ADSL multicast sport channels are working well. Most people report an improved SD picture and with ESPN thrown in as well it makes up for the possible limitation of not being able to record two channels at the same time.

The other channels over ADSL question is interesting, but because we don't know the particular contract terms between BT Retail and BT Wholesale it is hard to know what is likely. As far as I understand it OpenReach set up the multicast hardware, BT Wholesale package it up under the TV Connect brand name and sell multicast services on to ISP's, and BT Retail (our ISP) pay to use it and repackage it as part of the BT TV service. But we don't know if BT Retail are paying just once for multicast, or once for Fibre Multicast and again for Copper Multicast in some locations. I've read that the costs are based around number of channels and channel format (quality). So if they were paying again for Copper Multicast services then you could see why they would keep the number of channels to a minimum and only in SD. They will however save some money if they can turn off the TV aerial / viewing card sports channels in future.

As others have said the support problems are also probably a major factor. If someone has Infinity VDSL then they should have a speed of at least 15Mbps. It's a clear base line that BT Retail can use for designing services and determining who can get additional services. It keeps things simple for the BT TV software developers, sales staff, and after-sales support. ADSL on the other hand could be anything from under 1Mbps to 20+Mbps. This is another possible reason for providing only SD channels over ADSL even though some ADSL customers might have a fast enough connection to handle HD.

It's partly just a matter of progress and eventually having to draw a line. We all moved over from black & white TV to colour. We all moved over from 4:3 to 16:9 widescreen (well most of us have). We all moved over from analogue TV to digital TV. We are in the process of moving over from SD to HD TV. We moved over from analogue phones to digital phones. We moved over from slow dial-up internet access to broadband ADSL. There is now a similar general push to move us over from ADSL to the faster VDSL or equivalents. These things take time though and it's always annoying for those that can't yet get the latest thing!

Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

@benwiddowson wrote:

wow thats a big variable. I wonder how much its cost them to enable ADSL multicast in each exchange? I cant imagion its cheap and seems a little strange for only a few customers per exchange to use BT sport over adsl.

I suppose that goes back to the question of exactly how BT Wholesale cost these things.

If it costs BT Retail extra then it might not make sense to only have a few customers using it? If however it costs them no more then they might allow a few customers to use it but try and keep it to a minimum to make it easier to later migrate them over to VDSL and phase it out. This is assuming they don't pay BT Wholesale per customer or multicast stream, but just a fixed rate based on the number of channels and quality. Who knows? I certainly don't!

This is all futher complicated by the fact that OpenReach, BT Wholesale and BT Retail are all part of the same bigger group, but due to Ofcom regulations have to operate as individual companies in most respects. 

0 Ratings
PB54
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

even though I get 14-16 Mbps I'm not allowed bt sport over copper adsl because I could have infinity but don't want / need it. I can watch it on my iPhone though but it's not the same as on my TV. 😞
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 12

@PB54 wrote:
even though I get 14-16 Mbps I'm not allowed bt sport over copper adsl because I could have infinity but don't want / need it. I can watch it on my iPhone though but it's not the same as on my TV. 😞

Reports of figures for up to the end of 2013 showed that over 60% of UK households had the option of VDSL fibre broadband but only 14% of those had moved over to it. The implication was that most customers still saw it as too expensive for the potential gains they might get from it. You would expect prices to keep dropping though as it gradually becomes the norm rather than a luxury. I would expect to see a higher take up percentage by the end of 2014, but we will see.

0 Ratings
_garfield_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

@umpire wrote:

suppose that goes back to the question of exactly how BT Wholesale cost these things.

Looking at the service description and the WBC pricelist I make it a one off charge of £80K to enable a channel, and £6667 a month for each 1Mbps of multicast you are ingesting into the WBC network (SD channels sent at either 2.5 or 3Mbps). This number looks like a single fixed cost, not linked to the number of users of the multicast bandwidth or whether they are on fibre or copper.

What it does rely on is the availablility of multicast services at an exchange, and copper multicast and fibre multicast are enabled seperately by BT Wholesale based on commercial demand.

0 Ratings
PB54
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

Which is the case. I don't need more than the 14-16 Mbps I already get. I'm only surfing and email. No gaming and HD movies on the YouView box start after a 4-5 second wait.

What I do not understand is that I can watch BT Sport on my iPhone (tiny screen) or PC (small screen) over the wifi connection from my home hub but not on my YouView box (massive screen) which has a wired connection to my home hub!! That doesn't make sense to me.
0 Ratings