cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gareth_r
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Incorrect aspect ratio on some Freeview channels!

Go to solution

It's not only Gold.

Channel: CBS Action Freeview 39
Programmes: e.g. Bonanza, High Chaparral, Diagnosis Murder

Humax/BT YouView DTRT2110 (+ Sony TV) -- Stretched to fill the screen. 
Other displays (Y button, Search, Guide, Players & Apps, MyTV, Settings are also stretched, so that the left and right sides are not shown.

Other devices:
Humax/BT YouView DTRT4000 (+ Blaupunkt TV) -- 4:3 with black sidebars
Sony TV Freeview -- 4:3 with black sidebars 
Blaupunkt TV Freeview -- 4:3 with black sidebars 
Virgin TiVo (+ Sony TV) -- 4:3 with black sidebars

Both Humax recorders are on 31.28.0.
All connections via HDMI.

Also

Drama Freeview 20 - e.g. Steptoe and Son
Challenge Freeview 46 - e.g. Celebrity Who Wants to Be a Millionaire 
True Entertainment Freeview 61 - e.g. MASH
The results were exactly the same as above.

I'm not a BT subscriber.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Incorrect aspect ratio on some Freeview channels!

Go to solution

Hi Gareth

Thanks for reporting this. We've moved it to a separate thread as it is a different issue to the problem with the Gold channel on BT TV and we don't want to confuse the two issues. The signalling on the Gold channel is wrong and we're working on a fix.

Freeview channels use similar aspect ratio signalling and it's up to the broadcaster to send the correct signal to format the image correctly for the TV. In your case the channels appear correct on other devices so it would appear that the broadcaster's signalling is correct. I've tested all of the channels here on a DTR-T2100 and they all appear correct, including 4:3 content.

The DTR-2100 is the box that BT provide to subscribers, while the DTR-2110 is the same box but with subtly different software that BT sell through retailers.

Some questions:

1. Did you test the channels on the other devices at the same time with the same programmes or was it a different time with different programmes?

2. When 4:3 content is broadcast you report it being stretched on these channels with menu text also stretched so some of it is lost on the left/right sides. What happens when 16:9 content is broadcast on these channels? Does that look correct and are the menus also correct?

3. Are the other channels OK with 16:9 content?

4. Are the other channels OK with 4:3 content?

5. Did you use the same Sony TV in your DTRTR1000 test as with your Tivo test? I'm wondering if it could be a problem with the Sony TV or its settings so would like to check. Can you test other devices on the same Sony TV or try a different TV with your DTRT1000 please?

Community ModeratorPaulSk
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
gareth_r
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.

I kept tinkering Smiley Happy, and I found settings on the Sony TV that affected every input but the one being used for the T2110.

A bit more digging, and it turns out that the Sony has common settings that affect all inputs, but also allows different settings for each HDMI input that override the common settings, and, somehow, those for the T2110 input were different from the others. My excuse is that the manual describes all the options, but doesn't mention the individual input settings. Smiley Happy

I made the Sony "screen" parameters the same for all inputs, and it's fixed!

Sorry for taking up your time, but perhaps this will be useful information for anyone who has a similar problem in the future.

BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply. These settings can be obscure - especially when you think you've found the right menu but there's additional settings that also affect it.

Pleased to hear it's fixed and thanks for letting us know.

Community ModeratorPaulSk
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Midzone
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

One month on and Gold’s aspect ratio is still broken. Come on BT how long is it going to take to fix?

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
Try asking the broadcaster (ie Gold) it is down to them.
0 Ratings
Midzone
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Er.... I pay BT to supply this channel to me in its correct ratio - they are the supplier and so need to sort the issue on behalf of their paying customers.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Er, no you don't. You pay BT to, amongst other things, provide the platform to receive DTT / Freeview broadcasts. They are not responsible for the incompetence and faults of those third party broadcasters. If would be different if Gold were encoding the aspect ratio flag correctly and the BT Youview box was not processing that flag properly.  Would you hold BT responsible if Gold were to decide to stop broadcasting on the DTT / Freeview platform completely?

0 Ratings
ozsat
Expert
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Gold is not on the Freeview/DTT platform - it is in the BTtv package we pay extra for.

Gold aspect ratio stopped on BT months ago - but continued to work find on VirginMedia annd Sky.

---------------------------------------------------------------
using Superfast Fibre 1 Unlimited with BT Max TV package (inc. UHD).
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

This thread is about a speific user's problem with aspect ratio on a freeview channel.

The solution  to this thread appears to be with the HDMI settings on the user TV requiring change.

Your issues   @Midzone and @ozsat    with Gold are i believe those related to another thread which the user originally posted to before this thread was created.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Gold-aspect-ratio-switching-broken/td-p/1862823

0 Ratings