Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
LeBlur
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Intermittent Blank Screen on Sony Bravia TV when bringing T2100 out of standby

Go to solution

I have had a new DTR-T2100 for just over a week now. One problem I have noticed is that sometimes when bringing the T2100 out of standby the TV (Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403) just shows a blank screen with  'HDMI 1' at the top left of the screen, Tuner 1 at the top middle (but only if HDMI CEC is enabled), and the time at the top right.

The best way I have found to restore the picture and audio is to turn the TV onto standby then back on again. A power reset of the T2100 usually also restores service, not always, but this is more disruptive and time consuming.

The T2100 has been moved to other HDMI ports on the TV and I've also tried HDMI CEC on and off but I still get these intermittent failures. Switching the TV away from the HDMI port and back again does not restore service.

I have tried connecting via Scart in parallel to the HDMI connection. When the HDMI connection fails I can switch to the relevant AV channel and picture and audio are ok but when I switch back to HDMI there is still just the blank screen, as described.

The T2100 is running:

Manufacturers Software: 17.3.0

Component Software: 2.4.0

Platform Config: 910

ISP Config: 84

Is there a known problem with the T2100 and Sony Bravia TVs with respect to HDMI handshaking?

I've also been unable to get the T2100 into Maintenance Mode. I've tried the recommended holding down the down button (directly underneath the OK button on the top of the T2100) whilst powering on using the power swith on the back of the T2100 but the T2100 just boots up as normal. I've also tried the method for Maintenance Mode for the previous Youview box, substituting the down button for the -vol button. Again, the T2100 just boots as normal. Any hints on what I'm doing wrong?

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 24

Re: Intermittent Blank Screen on Sony Bravia TV when bringing T2100 out of standby

Go to solution

Are you getting as far as

A message saying "Enter Maintenance Mode Y/N (Y: POWER)" appears on the TV screen

0 Ratings
LeBlur
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Re: Intermittent Blank Screen on Sony Bravia TV when bringing T2100 out of standby

Go to solution

I have now managed to get into Maintenance Mode. I may not have been leaving the T2100 switched off for long enough. I gave it a good 20 seconds this time. I also hadn't realised that it was just a very small message at the bottom of the screen where the big BT Logo first appears so I may have missed it.

I have now done a Internet / USB Recovery (save recodings) to see if this helps with the HDMI problems.

Are you aware of any issues between the T2100 and Sony Bravia TVs?

0 Ratings
LeBlur
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

Since the Internet/USB Recovery I have still experienced a blank screen when coming out of Standby on the T2100.
This time I switched from HDMI 1, where the T2100 is connected, to HDMI 4, where I have now connected a Panasonic DMR-EX75.
Picture and Audio were both ok on HDMI 4.
When I switched back to HDMI 1 this was now also ok.

0 Ratings
LeBlur
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

Is there a known problem with the T2100 and Sony Bravia TVs with respect to HDMI handshaking?

My TV does still intermittently lose picture and audio from the DTR-T2100 over HDMI when bringing the Youview+ box out of standby.

0 Ratings
ubysam
Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution
Could be worth trying setting the box to output 1080i instead of 1080p

There's no real reason to have 1080p on this box as it only (currently) receives 1080i broadcasts as far as i know.

Also the 1080p setting is more of an auto mode and on the older box at least sometimes gets it wrong causing loss of handshake and blank screen.

also also.... when you enable/disable CEC on the tv make sure you fully powercycle the tv (at the mains) before trying again

LeBlur
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

Good advice, ubysam. I will try that as my next course of action.

I have just done a full factory reset on the TV following advice from another Forum. I was sent this link regarding possible HDMI issues with the Sony Bravia.

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7932/kw/hdmi

The factory reset appeared to be the only item on the list that hadn't either been tried already or was not applicable.

I suppose your suggestion regarding 1080p/i could be number 2 on the list i.e.

The connected device is sending out a video signal in a format that is not compatible with the TV.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
LeBlur
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

After the Factory Reset of the Sony Bravia TV this morning, my wife said that there was another failure on HDMI 1 this afternoon when bringing the DTR-T2100 out of standby.

Initially there was a blank screen and no audio. She put the TV into standby and back on again. This time there was picture but no audio. My wife then put the Youview box back into standby and back on again. Now there was picture and audio.

So a Factory Reset of the TV has not cured the issue. Interesting that my wife said there was no audio on this recent failure. I have not seen (or rather not heard 😉 ) this before.

An interesting section in the Sony TV document, Sanj sent the link to in his previous post, refers to the 1080p varients e.g. 1080/24/30/60p :-

"IMPORTANT: Some devices may be able to output a 1080/24p or 1080/30p video signal, whereas some TVs can only accept a 1080/60p video signal. Changing the video output format of the device may resolve the issue."

Does anyone know what the DTR-T2100 outputs and if this can be changed?

0 Ratings
LeBlur
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

Following the latest failure this afternoon, after the full factory reset of the TV, I have now followed ubysam's suggestion and set the DTR-T2100's HDMI output to 1080i.

See how this goes.

I must be getting near to exhausting things to try but nowhere nearer to proving the fault to the DTR-T2100 or to the TV or if this is just a basic incompatibility between the two.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

0 Ratings
LeBlur
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

I had to do a second Factory Reset on the TV as it proved a bit unstable after the first one. The TV completely locked up once where the only button on the TV control that would work was the on/off button (standby actually). I had to do a full power off of the TV to rectify this. It seems to be stable since the second Factory Reset.

Tempting the 'Kiss of Death', I have to say that I haven't had a blank screen on HDMI 1 since the second Factory reset of the TV and setting the HDMI output of the DTR-T2100 to 1080i. Still checking this, though.

0 Ratings