cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SMW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Intermittent sound drop

We have had ongoing problems with sound drop for nearly 2 years since we signed up for BT broadband and tv in Jan 2019. We have a BT Tv box and a Cello tv.

We have had so many BT engineers to our house as well as the Cube engineers. At a guess, at least 10, but none for a while.

We have taken the huge tv back to the Cello factory and they have confirmed there is nothing wrong with the tv. That’s not to say I’d ever have another Cello TV though!

The sound drops every couple of minutes for 1-5 seconds on every channel.It only happens when we watch the tv through the BT box. Sometimes we lose whole sentences!! There is no sound drop when we just use  the smart tv apps and turn the BT tv box off.

The issue seemed to resolve itself for a few months but now it’s back with a vengeance. We didn’t do anything to resolve it, the problem just went away by itself. But now, for the last month or so, it’s been worse than ever.

We have switched the HDMI 2.0 off, we have changed the resolution from 1080P to 1080i to 720p.We have tried all 4 HDMI ports and have tried a different HDMI cable.

I’ve read many, many  posts about this on this forum and it seems the issues are not just compatibility with Cello, but with Samsung and many other TVs. The problem is the BT tv box. 

This is getting ridiculous now as we are paying for a service / facility that is not fit for purpose, but we are now tied into a further 2 year contract, as we got rid of BT Sport during the 1st lockdown and BT offered us NowTV in its place but we had to sign up for another 2 years.

What would anyone suggest? Can this be escalated to senior management?

Many thanks

Sharon MW

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Intermittent sound drop

Does this happen just on live TV or also on recordings and while chase-playing?
0 Ratings
SMW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Hi @gomezz 

Yes I can confirm we experience sound drop on recorded programmes as well as those on catch up, which is what I assume chase-playing means?

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 5

Chase-play means pausing live TV and then playing a few minutes or more behind or watching a recording which has not yet finished.

That you are having this problem on recordings too rules out the common problem formerly experienced by many users and for which a fix has been released but which appears to have not helped everyone.  Which seems to indicate, as you suggest that it is the Youview box and the TV which do not get on with each other.  You could tried playing the audio through another sound system such as your hi-fi or radio with an analogue or optical aux input first to see if it is still happens like that and second as a workaround pending a fuller solution such as adding a soundbar or AV receiver.

0 Ratings
SMW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Thanks @gomezz 

Yes I can confirm we experience sound drop in all of the instances.

We do actually play the audio through a sound bar (as we bought that hoping it would help) but the sound problem persists whilst using that too.

The only reason we know it’s not the tv is we have disconnected everything and just watched the tv as it is, by itself, and there is then no sound drop.

How long will it be before BT recognises this issue and fixes it? When I report it to BT they send engineers out who just test my broadband speeds and say there is nothing wrong.

0 Ratings