cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Intermittent sound issue

Hi,

Hope someone can help with this issue I'm having. It seems to be an intermittent issue but has started to happen more often recently.

Originally around a few months ago I would turn on all my devices (TV, AV Receiver and YouView Box) and I would not get any sound (I do get picture). By just switching channels, the sound would then be heard. I presumed it was a problem with the HDMI connections and it didnt happen all the time so not such an issue.

More recently (in the last 4 weeks) switching channels no longer returns the sound. I need to switch the you view box off and then back on to get sound. Again not such a big issue as although it was happening more often it was a simple work around.

However in the last few days the problem has gotten worse. Now instead of the no sound occurring when I switch everything on, the sound is turning off when I change channels and also when I'm just watching a channel. Again the fix is to just switch the you view box off and back on but because its happening at least once when I switch on and then at least once when I'm watching tv I'm actually starting to get a bit annoyed.

Could this be my setup or equipment or a problem with the youview box?

My you view software is; manufacturer 18.3.0, component 2.5.6, platform 1017 and ISP 90.

The you view is connected to a Onkyo TX-SR390 and then onto a LG 50PK590. All done vie HDMI.

Thanks

Rob

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
ubysam
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Intermittent sound issue

Hi Rob, I get the odd lockup issue with my panasonic plasma and denon amp.

try to follow this power sequence and see if it makes any difference when powering up from cold or standby

Tv on first - then amp - then youview box.

this will allow the box to talk to the amp and vice versa - the amp to talk to the tv and vice versa and all of them to talk to each other and vice versa.

it's also worth looking for and turning off (unless desperately needed) any smart control stuff related to hdmi in the tv and amp

iirrc in LG tv's it's called smart link and onkyo call it rhid.

the youview hdcp jobbies seem to get rather grumpy when another device tries to tell it what to do and can/does result in allsorts of probs from loss of sound - picture - pink screen, blue screen, and actual error messages from the box

hth

Message 3 of 9

Thanks ubysam,

I've had a play around with settings on my Onkyo receiver and found the rhid settings. I also have a harmony remote which auto selects all the correct inputs and outputs while it switches it on so will have a go at lengthening each command to see if I can switch things on in the right order.

Fingers crossed that does the trick.

0 Ratings
jamiek
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Hi,

Did you find any solution to this? I have exactly the same problem- also with an Onkyo AV receiver...

Would be most interested in your findings!

Thanks,

Jamie

0 Ratings
jamiek
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Just to let you know I spoke to Onkyo support about this and they kindly provided the following solution-
Hi Jamie
I think I know what the issue is and it is down to the Humax box, in particular the HDMI output. For some reason the the lock signal does not seem to be 100% stable ( I have had a few people come to me with the same symptoms as yourself).
The best way around this issue is to connect an optical cable from the Humax to the AVR( make sure you assign & select the optical input so that you can use it) this will get around the issue you have. The reason your older 509 did not do this is because the HDMI board was only a switch with audio extraction. Where your 525 has an active video processing board which will decode video & audio.
But if you follow the above steps ( and make sure the optical out is set to bitstream/dolby digital in the Humax) you should be fine , its always good to check the Humax website for updates to see if they have solved the issue.

Hope this helps! 

Jamie
0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 6 of 9

Hi Jamie et al,

From the reports above, it appears there is an intermittent compatibility issue between the YouView Humax box and Onkyo A/V receivers. I'm not aware of any issues with other A/V receivers but it is not clear which of the devices is at fault.

There are two simple workarounds:

1. Set HDMI Audio Format to Stereo (no good if you want surround sound from HD channels and Video on Demand).

2. Use an S/PDIF optical cable as Onkyo advised.

Option 2 is the best option - you just need a suitable optical (TOSlink) cable - available from the BT Shop or many high street shops for a few pounds (or eBay).

On the YouView STB be sure to set S/PDIF Audio Format to Surround (in Settings - TV Signal & Quality).

On the Onkyo receiver you should find a digital input screen that lets you assign the appropriate optical input to be associate with a particular HDMI input. See page 46 of the Onkyo TX-NR525 manual to assign the Optical audio input to your YouView source - this should override the HDMI audio.

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/tx-nr525_manual_e.pdf

Note there is no loss of quality doing this with a YouView box - you will still get 5.1 Dolby Digital audio from programmes that have surround sound (e.g. some HD films, sport and drama on Freeview and Extra TV channels as well as Video on Demand).

(Note BluRay players can take advantage of the extra bandwidth available on HDMI to output Dolby True HD 7.1 etc which is not available over S/PDIF but I'm not aware of any Set Top Boxes that offer 7.1 audio).

I'll see if we can reproduce this and raise it as an issue if we can - thanks for providing the feedback from Onkyo.

Please let us know if this solves your problem or if you need any help.

BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 7 of 9

Also note, other Onkyo users have complained of similar issues with other devices. Onkyo USA advised trying a firmware update on the amp in this post on their support forum:

http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3510&sid=e0143a8c5f3c36f28072c2ef52a6e93d

I believe this is the latest Onkyo TX-SR525 firmware:

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/articles/firmware-update-tx-nr525-03-12-2013-95641.html

or here for other Onkyo models:

http://www.onkyousa.com/Downloads/firmware.php?source=globalnav

Please check with Onkyo if in any doubt though - BT can't take any responsibility for Onkyo products or any issues arising from a firmware update (e.g. if the update fails or leads to other problems).

neil_cm17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

I have the exact same problem.  My youview box is connected via HDMI to an Onkyo AV receiver which is connected to a panasonic TV.  Sometimes when I change channels I lose the sound completely.  Turning the youview box on and off fixes the problem.  None of my other HDMI devices have this problem.

Neil

0 Ratings
Edmund
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

I have  been having an intermittent no sound problem, fixed each time by turning off/on. I don't have any of your kit, just HDMI out of the box, via splitter, on to the TVs.

I have just started having no signal problems via the splitter.

I have been reading the HDMI splitter threads, and now this one. It all points towards the same thing: the BT software on the Humax box is causing HDMI problems.

0 Ratings