cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
c_p_morris
Message 1 of 4

Internet Channels not working on youview

Apologies, this has probably been done to death, so hopefully someone may be able to point me to an existing thread - I just can't find one.

We just been moved to infinity (FTTC) and as such a recieved a new HH5 and youview box.  The biggest issue we have is that our master socket is in a cupbaord in our bedroom upstairs and obviously all the other equipment is downstairs.  Our Vision + box used powerline adpaters to get a connection to the old HH3.

I want to keep the Vision box and also use the youview box for bt sport as it is now being removed from terrestrial (I also have a PS4).  Our house is period with big stone walls so network coverage can drop out in the far reaches.  So thought why don't I kill 4 birds with one stone and get a network extender with enough gigabit ports to hard wire all 3 units - seems reasonable to me.

So I now have a Netgear EX6200 AC1200 dual band wifi extender which everything is plugged into.  All three recieve internet signal and work as expected.  Except the internet channels on the youview box which show a IPC-6023 error.  this seems to be a internet connectivity issue looking at the youview website.  I should also say that inifinty went live yesterday (12th Jan 2015) and since then the line speed have been pretty wild going from 9mbps-33mbps.

After speaking with the live assistance guys from bt they simply say i need a hardwired connection to the HH and that's it.  Get some bt network extenders and all will be well.  these have been ordered but I would rather use my current setup if at all possible.

Can anyone shed any light on the situation?

Cheers

Craig

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Internet Channels not working on youview

Hi Craig,

The extenders would need to support multicast and IGMP v3 in order to transmit the IP channels over wireless.

I haven't seen any commercially avalaible ones that work well in this configuration sorry.

Steve

Community ModeratorSteveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
ghelyar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Hi Steve,

Do you know if it is commonly a hardware or firmware issue with commercially available wireless bridges? Could flashing something like dd-wrt onto it help for some models, or is it generally a lack of hardware support?

Are there any wireless bridges (i.e. takes a wireless signal and spits out ethernet) that are known to work (particularly on 5GHz)? I'm currently using a Linksys WUMC710 and have had the dreadded IPC6023 on all internet channels ever since switching to BT.

I haven't confirmed by plugging the YouView box directly into the router yet. If my TV and router were close enough to do that easily, I would not be using a wireless bridge in the first place.

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 4 of 4

Hi ghelyar,

The BT homehub does not support multicast over wireless but I would say that it is technically possible to take:

ethernet out of the homehub -> wireless bridge -> wireless bridge -> ethernet to STB

however the wireless bridges would need to support IGMP proxying/snooping and also multicast routing.

I've not tried dd-wrt for a long time but it may be worth looking at again as I beleive someone made a Raspberry Pi port which would be ideal!!

Steve

Community ModeratorSteveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.