cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 4

Is it my box or what?

Have had intermittent problems of sound loss and pixellation on internet channels. Each time it has occured, a factory restore (keeping recordings) has gotten rid of it.

A few days ago the box locked up completely and wouldn't play any channels or recordings. Again a restore seemed to solve it.

Just turned it on today and every channel goes to black with no sound and no picture. When you first switch it on it will display the channel for about a second but then goes to black and all channels incuding aerial and internet channels are affected.

I have just turned it off at the switch at the back and that seems to have solved it.

But my question is, is this just buggy software/updates or is this ultimately a faulty box. Or is there any way of knowing?

I am very reluctant to get the box swapped by BT as I have a lot of recordings I wish to keep.

Also, cheeky as it sounds, I wonder if a delay in getting the box swapped would result in us being given the new G4 box.

But, ultimately, I want to keep this box and it's recordings but constant factory restores is getting very annoying. Especially when we have to set up all the scheduled recordings again.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Is it my box or what?

I give up.

Just tried to turn the box on and it wouldn't come out of standby at all. Remote couldn't do it and even pressing the big power button on the front wouldn't do it.

Turned it off at the rear switch and back on again and it came out of standby but the pixellation and sound drop outs are back.

Gonna ring them tomorrow and see if they will swap it.

0 Ratings
speedtrip
Expert
Message 3 of 4

I get the the pixellation and sound drop outs for a day, then fine for days/even weeks, then back ...

last night the damned thing froze coming out of s/by   ... SKY was bulletproof compared to this  ....

0 Ratings
DaveBaines
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

@speedtrip wrote:

I get the the pixellation and sound drop outs for a day, then fine for days/even weeks, then back ...

last night the damned thing froze coming out of s/by   ... SKY was bulletproof compared to this  ....

Thing is, as I discussed in another thread, I bought a used Talktalk box to use in the bedroom and that IS bulletproof.

I have had that installed a couple of weeks now and it hasn't missed a beat. No pixellation, no sound problems, ultra responsive to the remote and no lock ups at all. And that is running on homeplugs whereas the BT box is running on an ethernet cable.

It must be a problem with the box or BT boxes in general.

I am honestly considering getting this swapped by BT, selling the new box and then setting up all my rooms, including the living room, with Talktalk boxes. They appear to work.

Only problem is you can't record internet channels on the talktalk boxes yet and not sure if they will get that update while connected to a BT line.

0 Ratings