cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ney
Expert
Message 1 of 7

Is the HD extra bolt on and the BT sport channels broadcast in 1080i.

Go to solution

Was just wondering if the HD extra bolt on and the BT sports HD channels via Youview was broadcast in 1080i

I also take it the Freeviewv HD channels are in 1080.

Someone told me the other day that some programes may only be showen in 720p.

Darren

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
EgreBot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Is the HD extra bolt on and the BT sport channels broadcast in 1080i.

Go to solution
I personally find that BT sports in HD is far superior to Sky's HD channels. Sky is 1080i so I can't see BT sports being broadcast in 720p, the quality is far too high to be 720p imo (although some older programmes may not be full HD).
0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

I think all BT's channels are 1080i but I think BBC use 1080/50i and also 1080/25p, but that said the YouView box does upscale everything to 1080p anyway if you have it set to output 1080p (I know upscaling is no answer to full broadcast resolution but it does a reasonable job).

Also resolution is not the total be all and end all, the type of encoding used also plays a big part in the quality even at the same resolutions...

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Yes I got my Youview boxes set to 1080p. I use the G4 box for my BT TV channels and HD extra bolt on and the older Youview box I use just as a Freeview recorder and for the main free catch up TV players.

Thanks guys for the replies and info.

Darren

0 Ratings
mikef
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Do you have both boxes connected to the internet at the same time?

I have my new G4 box, plus my old original Youview box.  I dont want to send the old box back just yet as it has recordings I want to watch, but I think that unless I connect it to the home hub I cannot watch recordings...

cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
Mikes ..you can connect several Youview boxes to the Internet. however depending upon your Broadband connection you may experience issues if you run too many devices simultaneously. some content providers restrict the number of devices that you can access their content on. So for example BT restrict you to one box for its subscription services unless you have taken their multi box (2 Boxes) service.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
mikef
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

OK Thanks, I'm only interested in my old box for watching old recordings, not accessing online content,  so thats fine.  I guess at some point BT will send me treatening letters askign for the Youview box back  🙂  Though I do still have my BT vision box in the garage that I last used over two and half years ago...

0 Ratings