cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Is this 2020 or 1820 as this BT 4K Youview box is abysmal

I've been with Sky and Virgin for over 20 years and their Sky HD/Q or Virgin V6 boxes are light years ahead of this Youview tosh.

I've only been with BT for 5 weeks and am on my 3rd 4K box already after the first two completely failed and i lost all recordings. I've just received my 3rd box, set it up and sat down tonight to watch the football. I set a programme on Discovery channel to record and while i was watching the football, the tv automatically turned over to the channel i was recording when it started and wouldn't let me go to any other channel without cancelling that recording. I'm getting the message 'Too many recordings, you need to cancel this recording to watch another channel' WTF?? I'm only recording ONE programme but it's obviously one too many for this box.

I could record 6 channels with Sky or V6 boxes whereas i can't even record one and watch another channel with this tosh. I know the 4K box is supposed to be able to record 2 channels and be able to watch a 3rd but i can't even record 1 channel and watch a 2nd. It's utterly ridiculous, i ended up missing the rest of the football because i didn't want to delete my one recording.

There's nothing in the settings for this so i've no idea how i can record one programme while watching another? Any help would be appreciated guys and gals as i'm very close to cancelling the tv package and going back to Sky. I can't need a fourth box in 5 weeks surely???

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Is this 2020 or 1820 as this BT 4K Youview box is abysmal

Hi @BJames99 

Did you set your recording to Series Link by any chance?

If you did, the box has actually set two recordings. One will be a one off episode and the other will be the Series Linked on. They're both set to record on the same channel which is why you can't change channel. Also, if you look at the Scheduled Tab on the box you will only ever see the Series Linked one, which is why you think that you're recording only one programme. It's made worse by the fact that when the recording has finished, there is only the one recording, not two, or rather only one is visible.

To avoid this, download the BT TV app and pair it to your box. If you look on the Scheduled Tab in the app you'll see ALL scheduled recordings, including the unwanted one offs. This extra recording only seems to happen at the start of a Series Link, the problem is that you can't delete just the unwanted recording. It all goes and when you add it again the same happens.

I'm now recording two Series manually, one episode at a time because of this problem.

Unfortunately you won't get a solution here, it needs raising on Youview's own Forum. To be honest, I can't be bothered to raise it there myself, the next Youview bug will be coming along shortly. I haven't had Virgin myself but Youview is well behind Sky, even my Freesat box is superior.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 11

The image below helps to explain it, look at the scheduled recordings for Monday 9th Dec at 9pm. Both programmes have this unwanted one off recording. It doesn't happen every time though so it could be something to do with the data added to the programme to set the recording or linking.

Img_0081a.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Hi Andy,

Thanks for that! 

Yes it was set to series link  in case i forget to record it next week. Having a glitch like multiple recordings of the same programme on a Youview box when it only allows 2 recordings anyway at one time is very poor. It drove me mad last week when the tv turned over during the match and wouldn't let me go back to it.

I've been with Sky and Virgin for 30 years with various boxes over that time and never had one single box fail and need to be replaced yet i'm onto my 3rd BT Youview box already in just 5 weeks. I've definitely been spoilt over the years using Sky and Virgins boxes so just assumed the BT equivalent would be almost as slick, easy to use and reliable but i was wrong on all 3 counts. 

I only really signed up to BT for the sports and ultimate 4k channel as well as the app but thankfully i kept my Sky Q subscription so will just record everything on that from now on as i can record 6 channels without any issues and just use the Youview for watching the BT Sport channels and recording as little as possible.

So i'm guessing you're saying to manually record all programmes and not 'series link' them to get round this very annoying issue? 

Thanks for your help anyway!

Cheers

Brian

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 11

Series Link does work as it's just the first recording that 'doubles up', after that it's fine. Use the BT TV app as I suggested to view scheduled recordings, rather than the BT box. The app shows everything so you'll see potential problems, the scheduled tab on the BT box isn't much use at all to be honest. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 11

I think the issue here is that you can only record/watch 1 IPTV channel at a time e.g. You can't record BT Sport 1 and watch BT Sport 2 at the same time but could record BT Sport 1 & watch a freeview channel at the same. However if you were recording a Freeview channel you would be able to watch another freeview channel or an IPTV channel at the same time.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 11

@Mallett94 I've never had an issue recording two IPTV channels and watching another on BT TV...  That includes recording HD channels such as NatGeo and History while watching BT SPorts UHD

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 11

@NigelB72 Interesting I/my parents have definitely run into some sort of recording issue like I described before. Maybe it occurred on the non 4K box.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 11

@Mallett94 it could be related to bandwidth if their broadband isn't fast enough. QOS may jump in to block multiple recordings but it shouldn't

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

Got to chime in and say the first 6 weeks with but were a joke. Had a box fail myself with record issues. And to call it “max 4K” when it was one channel that did it ( and don’t get me started on the youview box doesn’t do hdr ) . 

if it wasn’t for me complaining so much and getting a price + contract reduction I’d have walked. Even at the £38 I’m paying I think it’s too much.  Basically your app which allows me to get 4k hdr saves your bacon

0 Ratings