cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhatPhreddy
Message 1 of 6

Issues with youview (humax) box using a switch

My setup needs the youview box a long way from the home bub. In case it matters its the mini youview box with BT infinity.

Only thing I would want the box for is to access BT Sport (UFC and MotoGP). 

Setup is homehub, long cable, then a TPLink wifi AP, operating in switch mode, with the youview box off this (and game console, android box, etc etc) everything access's the internet just fine. 

I change to BT sport. It works, but every 5 - 10 mins it breaks with a error IPC6023 indicating a network problem. If I channel up and channel down its instantly back. Doesnt seem like a network error to me, feels more like an authorisation check issue. 

All network tests work fine, my laptop can stream the same channel at the same time the error happens.. My android can stream TV flawlessly, my console is fine.. Its just the youview box that errors out. 

Any tests I can do ?? 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Issues with youview (humax) box using a switch

What model Youview box and how is it connected to the switch?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Connect the YouView box directly to the end of the Ethernet cable from the home hub, then see if it works. If it does, then its the AP/switch blocking packets, possibly not allowing multicast.

Multicast is not carried over a wireless link.

0 Ratings
PhatPhreddy
Message 4 of 6

Its a humax box (according to its ID on the home hub) and its the mini youview box 

Connection is ethernet to the TP link accesspoint (dhcp etc all off) switch ports.. Then thats ethernet up to the home hub. 

All other devices the same, work fine.. DHCP etc all done by the homehub

0 Ratings
PhatPhreddy
Message 5 of 6

yes it works direct connected but then I lose my wifi here which is not acceptable.

Is there a way to test multicast.. I tried the VLC test listed on another answer (on laptop over wifi to the AP) and it worked.

Also to be clear, it works, shows BTSport, for about 5 mins, then stops but a channel change and its on again.

Highish end TPLink wifi point too.. AC1750 gigibit switch etc..
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

The answer is to connect a proper Ethernet switch to the end of the Ethernet cable, then connect the YouView box, and your wireless access port to that switch.

Normal unmanaged Ethernet switches will pass all Ethernet traffic, so there should be no problem.

Ethernet switches (4 oir 5 port), are cheap and plentiful. Unless you have CAT 6 cable connected from the home hub, then a normal 10/100 mb Ethernet switch is all you need.

The TP-LINK TL-SF1005D Five Port 10/100 Mbps Unmanaged Desktop Switch costs less than £10.