Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WantageWill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Judder/Jitter Netflix

Hi

Had the youview box a week now & am very impressed apart from one thing.

When using Netflix, there is constant Judder all the time, which is most noticeable while the shot is panning.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Could it be something to do with the 24 fps Netfix uses, or something to do with the Youview box being fixed at 50hz & not going to 60hz as some other players do.

I have changed to using the Netflix app thats inbuilt into the tv, which does not suffer the same problem.

Real shame, apart from this, the youview box is very good.

For interest, my tv is :- Panasonic TX-L47ET60B

I have tried every setting there is on the tv with no improvment.

Any thoughts?

Best Regards, Will

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
voice_of_reason
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Judder/Jitter Netflix

Yes, I've noticed this too. It's not really a problem most of the time, only, as you say, when there is a panning shot. The HD picture on Netflix is otherwise very good. I had assumed it was something to do with the way it was encoded, rather than a problem specific to YouView's implementation of Netflix. Maybe not though, if the app on your TV is OK.

I find the sound being slightly out of sync on Netflix far more annoying!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ChrisR6262
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Voice_of_reason -  I remember your annoyance from when it was launched on Youview about the Netfllix sound being out of sync, not "obviously" so but just enough to notice and not to be able to immerse yourself in a programme. (probably about 0.2 seconds out)

Of all the "newer" devices I've watched Netflix on, be it Youview, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV Stick and my parents Virgin Tivo this problem has been prevalent. Apart from one... my trusty 2011 generation WDTV Live is still as good as it was 3 years ago - no idea why this should be the case!

Even then I found updated the newer WDTV firmware introduced slight lip-sync issues so I rolled it back again...

0 Ratings
voice_of_reason
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

Yeah, it's strange, I haven't found a single device where the sound is in sync either. It's so far out on the Android app that it's completely unwatchable (and that's on three different devices I've tried). It's just about watchable on a Nexus 10 tablet, but still slightly out. I'm mystified as to why Netflix seems to find it so difficult to get it right. I can't say I've noticed this problem on any other video streaming service I've used.

Anyway, sorry - I don't want to hijack a thread about the picture!

0 Ratings
pwalker
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Hi I also find BT TV Netflix unusable due to this juddering issue. I have discovered it is far more previlent when viewing 5.1 content and US material in particular. This suggests a combination of factors- have you made progress/given up as Im about to tackle this with BT as I have just parted with my money for the new box? Thanks
0 Ratings
voice_of_reason
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

Not sure if you're talking about the picture judder the OP mentioned, or the sound sync problem I mentioned (as you referred to 5.1 content). I've just got used to Netflix as it is - the sound is still out of sync slightly on most things - as you mention, it's worse on US content. As for the picture judder, I got used to that. It's still there, but not noticeable enough to spoil things (for me, at least). I still find the sound sync the most annoying thing, but I'm even getting used to that now.
0 Ratings
patelc7
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

the judder will be the frame rate of the content Netflix provide.  a lot of US shows are in 24 or 60 frames.  UK TVs are 50 frames.  that's why you see it on multiple devices like TiVo.  

there is not a simple solution to this, but often changing TV settings i.e switching motion processing on the TV off can help.  give it a go. 

0 Ratings