Message 1 of 18

Jump to time

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
robotman1
Contributor
Message 2 of 18

Re: Jump to time

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/humax-retail-software-update-32-32-10-3-6-1...

This new 'Jump to Time' is nothing like we once knew it. Don't think I'd be as keen on this one

Jump to Time You can now skip 10% increments on your recording playback by pressing a number on the keypad. The recording is split into 10 parts so pressing ‘5’ on the keypad will skip playback to 50%, while 3 will skip 30%

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 18

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 4 of 18

Got to be good news as at least they are trying

0 Ratings
robotman1
Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Still waiting after all these years now for the original jump to time feature, you know, the one where you typed in the minute you wanted to go to? This percentage caper is a half arsed attempt when compared to the original 🤔

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 6 of 18

Yes that would be better but at least this addresses the biggest part of the issue

If I record say BBC Breakfast I want to start viewing it at the 8.28 am point (when the local news shows) and instead of having to fast forward for 5 minutes now I can just jump to 70% in and advance 5 one minute jumps 

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 7 of 18

Have now downloaded and tested it and it does work quite well (albeit not as good as what we had 2 and half years ago)

But thanks to whoever has made this happen

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 18

Jump to Time is a misnomer. With the way this is implemented If I want to go to 2:20 into a 5:30 live superbike coverage problem to get to the start of a particular race then I going to have to get the calculator out first and then *still* have to fine tune the positioning by skipping backwards and forwards (what with FF/REW on recordings from internet recordings being unusable as the cause all loss of audio).
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 18

@gomezz 

You're absolutely spot on there.

The original jump-to-time made the Youview box stand out against it's competitors  but this half-arsed implementation ,that really only those on here or Youview's community forum will know about, does very little to improve it's useability.

As an aside I would have thought that what's been implemented is way more complicated to code than just accepting a number of minutes to jump to.

A great shame and an opportunity missed 😞

scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 18

@TimCurtis 

I don't agree with you. This was a new test where they wanted to try a new method of releasing improvements without long drawn out testing (I know we have been waiting a long time for them to bring this back but you have to put that aside and concentrate on where we are now). To say it doesn't improve usability is very wrong for me. I tested this a bit ago where I had a couple of 4 hour recordings (Moto GP and WRC), I usually have to sit ff for many many minutes to get to where I want, with this I could just hit a button and it would drop me close to where I wanted to be (yes you still have to ff/rew a bit to get to exactly but being honest you normally have to do that even with the jump to minute feature as it is rare you know exactly the minute you want to be at and in some cases it works better, as for WRC to see the mid point of each stage, you can have 4 stages in a 4 hour recording, I just hit one button and then another if not correct rather than having to type in 4 numbers constantly to try and find where I want). I totally get that trying to work out 10% chunks in a recording can be a bit brain taxing as opposed to just inputting a time and yes I agree sometimes the time feature would work better (the delete history doesn't work totally correctly either as it deletes the whole search history rather then just one item) and I sort of hope they can still work on getting the full improvement back in the background. But I for one am very very pleased to see this implementation as it massively improves functionality (albeit it is far from perfect).