cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wigglr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 87

Re: Known Routers to Work with Multicast/IGMP

I have multicast working in a roundabout way with my Netgear R6300, but with the HH3 and 500Mbit Powerline adapters in the picture.

Modem -> HH3 -> R6300 -> Powerline -> Youview Box on other Powerline.

To do this, I configured the HH3 as 192.168.1.1, then disabled it's wireless and DHCP. I made sure that NAT and UPNP was enabled, and then set it to use the address 192.168.1.254 as a DMZ server.

I then configured the R6300 as the address 192.168.0.1, using the WAN IP address of 192.168.1.254, with 192.168.1.1 as the gateway and DNS server. The R6300 is then connected via WAN port to the HH3 Gigabit port.

In the R6300 settings I switched on IGMP, but there is no snooping option. It may be possible to remove the HH3, but I have not figured out how yet.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 87

@wigglr wrote:

I have multicast working in a roundabout way with my Netgear R6300, but with the HH3 and 500Mbit Powerline adapters in the picture.

Modem -> HH3 -> R6300 -> Powerline -> 2 x Youview Boxes on other Powerlines.

To do this, I configured the HH3 as 192.168.1.1, then disabled it's wireless and DHCP. I made sure that NAT and UPNP was enabled, and then set it to use the address 192.168.1.254 as a DMZ server.

I then configured the R6300 as the address 192.168.0.1, using the WAN IP address of 192.168.1.254, with 192.168.1.1 as the gateway and DNS server. The R6300 is then connected via WAN port to the HH3 Gigabit port.

In the R6300 settings I switched on IGMP, but there is no snooping option. It may be possible to remove the HH3, but I have not figured out how yet.

The above settings allow both youview boxes to use on demand content and different streaming channels simultaneously, as well as giving me the full features of the R6300 such as AC1750 wireless, network printing, and DLNA

Hi wigglr,

As per my other post not everyone wants to use their own router connected to the homehub as it defeats the object of using a 3rd party router. Once you set up your router in this way you lose the advanced security options you get over the Homehubs.

Please can you try without the HH3 - the device needs to work without the need of the HomeHub being installed to do the routing.

regards

Walkerx

0 Ratings
wigglr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 87

walkerx, as per my other post. My router treats the HH3 as if it was a modem because it is connect to the WAN port.

This does not compromise security in any way, as my router is still performing all of its duties such as being a firewall, port mapping/filtering, static routes, etc.

Perhaps I should have said that my router and modem are the only devices routing through the HH3. The HH3 is simply acting as a bridge between the modem and my router's WAN.

I did try playing around several weeks ago for a few hours without the HH3, but I failed to get it working.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 87

wigglr wrote

I did try playing around several weeks ago for a few hours without the HH3, but I failed to get it working.

This is the thing, we are compiling this list for users to use own device without a homehub involved.

0 Ratings
wigglr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 87

Fair enough, but if people have previously forked out upwards of £150 for a router and want to use it, then my above solution may be for them

0 Ratings
tw99
Message 16 of 87

Really what we need is a brief technical spec. of exactly how the multicast traffic is transported over the DSL link. Then I'm sure people will be able to make this list a lot longer.

Can anyone from BT provide a pointer to the spec ? E.g. is it a different ATM VC; what encapsulation, does it rely on IGMP snooping on the router etc etc.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 87

@tw99 wrote:

Really what we need is a brief technical spec. of exactly how the multicast traffic is transported over the DSL link. Then I'm sure people will be able to make this list a lot longer.

Can anyone from BT provide a pointer to the spec ? E.g. is it a different ATM VC; what encapsulation, does it rely on IGMP snooping on the router etc etc.

Not sure that would be particularly useful to be honest.

On my Asus there's one setting that made all the difference - not working to working - which was in no way obvious and totally separate from the IPTV section.

Likewise on my Billion a simple profile addition made it work.

I don't think that knowing how multicast works would have helped us find these solutions.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 87

multicast is broadcast over certain ip range only and the tp-links automatically configure this

I think the router also needs to accept packets from 0.0.0.0

0 Ratings
RodoRod
Contributor
Message 19 of 87

Thanks - explains why my Netgear 4500 does not give BT TV?

Shame, because it is a lot faster than the HH4
0 Ratings
colinb4987
Beginner
Message 20 of 87

First of all, great thread - has helped me avoid days of fighting with a Cisco E4200. I do, nevertheless, have a problem that can likely be very quickly solved

I opted to plug in a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND running initially stock from-factory firmware - this resulted in my BT Vision box being able to access On Demand services (iPlayer, 4oD, and BT Player), but giving an error when trying to view the BT Sport channels (507/8). Updating to the latest factory firmware had the same result. Since then, I've tried DD-WRT and Gargoyle, but to no avail.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how to get this router to pass the relevant packets through so I can watch the BT Sport channels?

Many thanks!

0 Ratings