cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MNicholls
Message 1 of 6

Lack of WiFi on YouView Box Preventing A Move To BT TV From Sky

Hi..... I've been wanting to move from Sky TV to BT TV for a while now, but I see the YouView box is not WiFi enabled. I believe you need to use the Power Adaptors. I've used adaptors previously and the connect is unstable in my property and refuse to use them again. Also in this modern age, I surprised to see a provider such as BT not offering WiFi as standard on their boxes.

Can someone please let me know if enabling WiFi on the YouView Box is on the product roadmap (and also the reason for not enabling it in the first place)? Until the box is WiFi capable I will remain with Sky. 

Thanks...

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lack of WiFi on YouView Box Preventing A Move To BT TV From Sky

Welcome to this user forum. @MNicholls 

Its not going to happen, as normal wifi does not have the capability to handle multiple multicast streams, as that is how the extra BT YouView channels are delivered.

Some people have managed to get the BT Complete WiFi system discs to operate the BT YouView box, as they do support multicast over wireless.

See this post https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Use-ethernet-port-on-wifi-discs-for-broadband/m-p/1915308#M76...

So that may be an option for you?

0 Ratings
MNicholls
Message 3 of 6

Many thanks for the quick response Keith.....

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

You could always bite the bullet and run an ethernet cable from the router to you TV set up. Use an ethernet switch to connect Youview, TV and any other AV kit you may have to give you a solid, stable connection.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
MNicholls
Message 5 of 6

I had considered that a while back... but I’d have to run the Ethernet cable around the outside of the house from the front of property to rear of the property then use an existing hole to feed into the room at the back of the house and into the Freeview box. But to be honest that’s a faff and BT are the only service provider not to support WiFi. Rather pathetic really. In this day and age wireless is the way forward. I’m with BT for BB... lookis like I’ll stay with Sky or if I do leave just keep Netflix and Amazon Prime. So much easier. BT really need to sort out how they deliver TV - this is not sustainable for the future...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

As you may be aware, the BT approved method is to use the BT Mini Connectors, as these are specifically designed to work with BT YouView and will carry the multicast packets.

See this post by a moderator https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/How-to-connect-YouView-Box-when-hub-in-another-room/m-p/...

0 Ratings