Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bobbs
Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Large button remote for disabled

Hi

we have just moved from Sky and have been used to dealing with their disability team as we are both disabled. I have found out that BT don't provide this service and my husband and I are both seriously struggling with the remote control. We both have dexterity issues, my husbands is quite severe and we are getting increasingly frustrated with the small buttons on the remote. It certainly hasn't been designed with disabled people in mind 

sky have a large large button remote that is provided free of charge to disabled customers hat need it. Does BT have something similar. I know I'll need to pay for it.

there must be many people with this same problem. I think BT have dropped the ball on this one

can anyone advise please

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Large button remote for disabled

I assume its the BT YouView box that you have, not the Vision+ one?

There are probably a number of large button programmable remote contols that work with the BT Youview box

0 Ratings
Bobbs
Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Hi

it is a you view + box that we have. I'm not sure that programming it would be an option but would give it a go. Have I stupidly posted on the wrong board?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 21

On Youview there are a range of accessibility options

http://www.youview.com/features/accessibility-features/

Do you have  or use any special USB keyboards currently.

Bobbs
Contributor
Message 5 of 21

Hi zulu17

thank you very much for that link. We currently don't use any USB keyboards. This may be an option as it's becoming more and more frustrating constantly missing the correct button or a finger slipping slightly. Hubby has just announced that he just can't use it and I do see his problem.

this was something we never envisaged.

just thought this through. There is no way that a usb keyboard would work. Now if it was wireless it would be great.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 21

Hi

The YouView remote that BT supplied with their original BT YouView box had much larger and easier to see buttons.

It still works the new generation YouView boxes so it might be worth seeing if you could source one of these if that would help you.

You can see a picture of what it looks like at:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42493/~/how-do-i-control-my-tv-with-my-youview-remote...

(ignore the details at the link, it's the only place I could find a picture of what I'm referring to on the BT website)

The remote in question is the last one shown at that link.

As to whether BT would be able to supply one of these to you I don't know. Once a site moderator reads this they should be able to let you know.

There are ones on ebay listed as being new for about £10-15. If you go down this route make sure it's a remote for the YouView box and not the BT Vision box.

Note that some of the sellers don't seem to know the difference!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Bobbs
Contributor
Message 7 of 21

Thank you so very very much for this. I will start looking now and feedback if I find one

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 21

I would wait to see if a moderator (only official BT employees on here) can help once they read this tomorrow before you take the ebay route...

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

Hi @Bobbs

I'm dropping by to let you know I have asked my colleague about this and I'll post again when I've heard word back from them.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Bobbs
Contributor
Message 10 of 21

Thanks a million Robbie, I do appreciate it.

0 Ratings