cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Leaking youview box

Go to solution
This evening I paused my box (less than a month old) for a few minutes. I returned and tried to play, Box was unresponsive. I pressed the standby button on the box and it stated that it was unable to connect to router. I pit my hand behind the box to check the wires / cables etc and turn the box off my the power switch. I noticed that it was wet! I turned the power off and unplugged it. Fluid was seeping out of the box. The liquid is clear and doesn't smell. Rang customer services and have an engineer booked in for weds.

I'm totally confused as to what it might be.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
gooner1958
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Leaking youview box

Go to solution

german tears maybe .

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Most likely one of these has failed, they are not very reliable, especially if they get too warm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolytic_capacitor

One of the "wet" construction.

I would wash your hands, and any other surface that has been in contact with the liquid.

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

It could also be that rain water has seeped into the aerial lead sitter at the connection on the rooftop aerial or a damaged section.

Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
After some reading I thought it might a capacitor, but customer services said that the box doesn't contain capacitors, just a hard drive.

Engineer coming on weds so I'll keep you posted.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution
I ruled out rainwater. The aerial has a loop outside and is below the level of the box. I also checked it for moisture and all the leads were dry.

Thanks for the advice
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

@Tinyprofessor wrote:
After some reading I thought it might a capacitor, but customer services said that the box doesn't contain capacitors, just a hard drive.

Engineer coming on weds so I'll keep you posted.

It has a mains power supply which has electrolytic capacitors. As you have a loss of power, that is the most likely cause,

You are lucky that one has not exploded, as they make an awful smell which hangs around forever, and smells like cat mess.

Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

@Tinyprofessor Did the engineer manage to get this sorted for you? 

Cheers

Neil

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

I think rain water is the most likely cause. The box does contain capacitors but the amount of liquid that could leak from a capacitor is minimal and you describe it as clear water which is unlikely from a capacitor. 

I've heard of rain water coming down the inside of the co-ax cable. It's rare but we have had reports of this before. A drip loop wouldn't guard against that of course. Please tell the engineer about this possibility when they arrive. 

As a test you could cut the aerial cable and see if its wet inside - only do this if you or the visiting engineer are confident at re-fitting a co-ax plug though. Don't try this if you've never done it before, otherwise you'll be without TV...

Of course you shouldn't use the box if there's any possibility of an electric shock hazard - I'd advise you leave it unplugged and don't use the aerial cable until you've identified the source of the liquid. 

Meanwhile, you could put a cup under the aerial cable to see if you can collect any more water if it rains (I'm assuming you can't reach the external TV aerial to pour water over it as a test). You might want to inspect the cable to see if it has any splits before it enters the house where water could run in.

What's the weather forecast looking like?  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
Thanks for your replies. Turns out that the liquid was rainwater. We have just moved into the house and the co-ax cable had been tied up as the previous owners had virgin. Initially we didn't undo the tied cable but I then moved it around and released a pinch point. The water must have been at a high pressure as the cable went up from the wall at least 3 feet. The engineer was very helpful and said that there was no way we could have foreseen it. He ran it through his laptop and it said that we would be charged £99 to replace bit if we rang bt they may be able to do something about it. So I rang them and they have replaced the box free of charge! We are having the co-ax replaced on Thursday as the leak must be out of sight and is making water run through the internal part of the cable.

Once again thanks for all your replies.