cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Looking to get BT tv

Hi, I am looking to switch from sky TV to BT TV however when I phoned to place my order today I was told due to my slow broadband speed I couldn’t have BT. My understanding was BT service came through aerial. I have about 4 meg and it’s sufficient to stream YouTube etc so a bit confused. Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Looking to get BT tv

Freeview is aerial, BT & Now services are Internet. You probably have enough for a single stream of the standard definition offering (576 for BT & 720 for Now). But BT will want you to have the capacity for at least two channels simultaneously. I had this years ago when I wanted to subscribe to the 4k service with a 36Mb connection. BT point blank refused to supply it below 43Mb, even though I was happy to waive any right to watch/record multiple channels.

Classic case of computer says no.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

BT TV is basically Freeview mixed with Now TV unlike TalkTalk TV which has a similar setting, you can watch the live channels without going into the Now TV app so you can watch these channels just like you would with Sky. There is also access to other streaming services like Netflix.

However, make sure your favourite TV Channels are available on BT TV before quitting Sky. Sky Max,Sky Showcase,Sky Crime,Sky History,Sky Documentaries,Sky Arts,National Geographic,Comedy Central,Sky Sports channels,BT Sport channels and there some kids channels too

All other channels are provided as freeview channels.

Make sure you get a good TV signal with Freeview before signing up to this service.

If you don't get good freeview signal were you are, I would recommend keeping Sky or try Virgin Media which has just as many channels as Sky.

The whole experience with BT TV is destroyed  if you can't get a good freeview signal. Its recommended to have a good rooftop aerial or of you live in a block of flats/maisonettes a communal aerial.

BT will also not sell you BT TV if they feel there isn't enough bandwidth on your Broadband as again this will prevent you using the service, BT TV is a combination of terrestrial and IPTV

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

It's not just about TV @rbz5416 - if watching a single channel on your box prevents anyone else in the house from even browsing the internet then that's just a bad experience all round.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

That also means you wouldn't be able to have Sky Glass as well, as TV is moving towards Broadband connections, this is going to become a problem, but Openreach will eventually roll out full fibre in your area.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@DarrenDev 

Not if you're the only person in the house...

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

What if Alexa decides to download a software update? Or someone sends you a funny video on WhatsApp? Now your TV stops working, and you don't even know why.
What if you set 2 programmes to record that are at different times, but then the news overruns so they clash. The box doesn't have a mode to recognise that it can't record 2 channels, so it could end up failing on both.

There are so many opportunities for things to go wrong with so little bandwidth, it's not worth the support headache of trying to sell the product. Better to be realistic and just say you're not going to get a good enough experience.

There's nothing to stop anyone taking out a Now TV subscription directly, and buying a YouView box online.