Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sundance
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 14

Re: Lost BBC 4 HD, BBC News HD, Quest HD

Go to solution

Ok  , whilst your post mr Gomezz  may well be true forgive me i don't understand it. I'm in my sixties and I'm just a plug and play kinda guy so I don't understand why my normal TV using the same Ariel can pick up the  channels I've said before and my bt  box can't .. You may have said in your post but I don't understand it. My background was forty odd years at sea so I don't get what mux etc  means.  No offence ment 🐳

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 14

Go to solution

It is just that the tuner in your TV is that bit more sensitive than the one in your Youview box so can tune into a slightly weaker signal that the Youview box can.

The difference can be marginal even to the point that two "identical" TV sets of same make and model and even part of the same production run sat next to each in the factory may well be of a different sensitivity. The technical term for this is manufacturing tolerance.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 13 of 14

Go to solution

@Sundance 

I'd just elaborate on what @gomezz was saying about the TV tuner versus the Youview tuners.

Essentially the tuners in the BT Youview boxes are weaker/poorer quality than those found in most TVs. They can be overloaded by strong signals and struggle to pick up weaker signals. The Youview boxes supplied by TalkTalk generally cope much better than the BT ones in strong or weak signal conditions and I suspect maybe a bit more reliable.

0 Ratings
Sundance
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 14

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply  tim Curtis I kinda get it now. A tad disappointing however from bt. Maybe this new bt box pro  has better tuners   ? Time will tell i guess. Thanks to you both for trying to explain to an old man all of this 😁😁

0 Ratings