cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krivine
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Lost some HD channels on Freeview box

Some days ago I got a message that BBC4 HD was unavailable. On the advice given, I retuned the Freeview box. Said channel (106), along with a bunch of others, including BBCNews HD and RT HD, was no longer listed. I've retuned the box several times since, including after powering off at the mains. The channels are still missing.

The problem is not with the aerial or cabling. I can get BBC4 HD through the tuner on my TV, and the picture is good.

I've seen resetting the box suggested elsewhere. This deletes recorded programs, scheduled recordings, and all settings, so I'm reluctant to do this, but might have to. Does it work? Is there anything else I can try first?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 17

Re: Lost some HD channels on Freeview box

Have you checked for any transmitter faults or maintenance in your area yet? https://ukfree.tv/extras/BBC_Engineeering

0 Ratings
krivine
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I checked that - no problems reported. According to coverage checker, we should get good coverage on BBC4 HD, and that's borne out by the tuner on the TV: picture is great there.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 17

The tuner of the youview box is pretty **bleep** however this usually means it pixellates occassionally or looses signal rarely it misses out completely
What do you get under signal strength and quality?
0 Ratings
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 17

The YV box has a twin tuner hence requires a stronger signal than the TV. Ensure aerial cable is away from too many other cables and fully inserted into box. Try a few retunes as I initially had this on the older box but retunes eventually sorted it.
0 Ratings
AlanN
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Had this problem on and off for ages now - tried everything to identify why Youview handling of COM7 channels is so hit and miss. Sometimes it works fine, other times I get a blank screen followed by YM302, followed by the channel finally appearing - with a signal strength of around 75-80%. !! Then other times, it will not appear at all.

This is apparent on my Humax T4000 and an old Huawei 372T but oddly, my old T1000 - on the same aerial is working a treat!

Appears to be a problem with the tuners handling of the COM7 channels rather than a signal strength problem in my case. Signal strength shouldnt be an issue - I can see the transmitter. Tried attenuating 6db and 9db - no difference. tried aerial to youview box only - no difference.

All other channels are fine.

Ideas anybody??

cheers

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

I agree with the analysis. The Youview+ tuner is not great and handles COM7 pretty bad sometimes even the other HD streams.

One thing you can try is to use an aeriel cable with a ferrite piece in it as it looks like a lot has to do with interference

0 Ratings
krivine
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

Thanks. On the TV tuner, channel 107 is strength 93, quality 100.

On the Freeview box, figures for channel 104 are 59 and 100. (92 and 100 for 104 on the TV). I've made sure that the aerial cable isn't near any other cables. All physical connections are good. I've also eliminated any interference from new hifi speakers (unpowered).

I notice that the the Freeview box is connected to the main aerial cable by a short cable of small diameter - much smaller than the main cable, or indeed the cable that connects the Freeview box to the TV. Would replacing this help?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 17

Which transmitter do you receive your Freeview transmission from ?

0 Ratings
krivine
Beginner
Message 10 of 17

The nearest one is Hannington - I believe it's that. How would I check?

0 Ratings