cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steven3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Low volume from soundbar when using Dolby Digital

I have a T-4000 box directly connected to my Sony HT-XF9000 soundbar which is then connected to my Sony XD93 television's ARC port. When watching HD channels on BT i get Dolby Surround 5.1 when i set the sound on the BT box to Surround i have to crank the volume up and when I set the sound to Stereo and get LPCM sound i have to turn the volume down I thought Dolby was meant to be better as it is 5.1 sound compared to 2.0 LPCM. When i watch BT Sport Ultimate on appropriate broadcasts  i get Dolby Atmos which is fine. Is there something i am missing or is LPCM better than Dolby? 

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Low volume from soundbar when using Dolby Digital

Dolby Surround 5.1 is better at handling a wide dynamic range of sound so usually sounds lower to leave headroom for climaxes.
Steven3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Thanks for the reply it's quite a noticeable difference in volume the only setting I can find that does anything is Auto Volume on the soundbar which normalises the volume but when the sound is quiet it takes a few seconds to catch up and jumps up the volume which is a bit annoying too

0 Ratings
Steven3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Has anybody else had this problem and managed to fix it?

0 Ratings
DirectorsScarf
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Have you tried holding down the volume + button along with the AD button?

It increases the optical volume out and will show a a different volume bar on the screen.

Steven3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Thanks for the reply that only works when the sound is in stereo mode when it is in surround mode it is already at full volume.

0 Ratings
Steven3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

After doing a bit more investigating i believe i have found the issue. After reading other topics that recommend changing the mode from surround to stereo and back to surround to fix the volume, i did this while watching a SD channel and my sound changes from LPCM to Dolby Digital 2.0 which it should do. I then change to an HD channel and it shows Dolby Digital 5.1 which is again correct, i then change back to a SD channel and the sound changes back to LPCM which is incorrect. I think this must be a bug of some kind in the software on the BT Box. I don't know what to do next? Can i report a software bug or something?

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

I’ve had 3 surround sound systems & unfortunately this happened with all 3. Played around with the settings in the TVs but was never able to resolve it. I just had to remember to turn the volume down after watching an HD channel..

Steven3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Is there any mods on here or someone that can help me with this would like to report this as a bug if possible?

0 Ratings
Hildener
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

This is not a Bug it is a function of Dolby Digital which has a lower output than LPCM. The dynamic range headroom is much wider with Dolby Digital. The HD channels on Freeview are broadcast in HE-AAC and as no soundbar has a decoder for this format the digibox will convert the output to Dolby Digital. Several years ago Sony made a soundbase the htfs-xti which had an option to bring Dolby Digital Output up to PCM Level and it worked very well still have this soundbase on one of my own tv sets. I have not came across another system that works as well in this respect. I have a Panasonic soundbase on another tv and it has a volume correction system which operates the opposite way around bringing lpcm down to Dolby Digital Level which to my ears is not as good. So basically you will find that SD Channels are not broadcast in Dolby Digital and will always output at PCM Levels.