Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ricky2389
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Misleading Promo Mailing - BT TV

Hello all,

I am somewhat disappointed with BT for yet again not giving their customers "a better deal"

I received a mailing in the post yesterday for their new Youview box that they are giving away free when you sign up. They have also discounted their TV Entertainment Package to £5pm for 6 months, raising to £7pm afterwards.

All sounds good right? Nope. Their £35 "activation fee" is added on to the first months bill. They reset your broadband contract on a 12 month contract and the discounted TV Entertainment package is contracted for 18 months, but if you took out the TV entertainment package without any discount, the contract is only 12 months.

BT have been pulled up on this before by the ASA for misleading customers. Anyone any thoughts on the above?

Doesnt mention on the mailing that contract periods will be reset.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Misleading Promo Mailing - BT TV

Sounds like a cracking deal to me... A new £160 box and 18 months TV for less than the price of a new box...

When a company offers a discount for a certain period of time there will nearly always be a minimum term attached that is just a fact of life....

The deal sounds pretty good but I do agree there should be small print on the mailing saying about minimum contract terms.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 9

As a matter of interest can you show the advert?
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

I nearly signed up to a similar offer a few months ago where it was £7pm & no activation fee, but 18months TV subscription.

Decided I'd rather pay the £35 activation fee, £5pm & only 12months TV subscription. To me that's a great deal for the G4 box.

BTW I asked several times that I'd be getting the new YV box. Quite important to get that confirmed.

0 Ratings
robby2k9
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

Got the same misleading flyer, it clearly states on the terms & conditions that there is a £35 setup fee, but ONLY if an engineer is required to install it. BT could be prosecuted for this.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 9

Prosecuted for what?
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

I think there are two potential £35 charges. One is an activation fee - chargable in all circumstances - unless it's waived under a particular offer - and the other an install charge if an engineer is required.

0 Ratings
robby2k9
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

Yes there are obviously 2 charges, the point is the mailout has terms & conditions printed on it and they have listed all the applicable charges except the activation fee. This is therefore a misleading document as it has not fully disclosed the charges. Therefore the advertising Standards Authority could prosecute BT for this, especially as they have been in trouble with them several times before for dodgy advertising.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

@TimCurtis wrote:

I think there are two potential £35 charges. One is an activation fee - chargable in all circumstances - unless it's waived under a particular offer - and the other an install charge if an engineer is required.

Exactly right. They both just happen to currently be set at £35 but are totally different things.

The £35 engineer set up service is optional. You can order it with your BT TV order if you need help setting up a long ethernet connection from the HomeHub to the BT TV box. Most people don't require it.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45202/~/what-do-i-need-to-know-about-my-bt-tv-enginee...

0 Ratings