cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
paulbanner
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Missed the new G4 box by a few days. Can I still have it?

Go to solution

Hi,

As the title says really. I've had my phone line and and BT Infinity 2 broadband with BT for quite a while now but I recently decided to take the plunge and switch from Sky+ to Youview.

I placed my order on the 16th of Feb but my contract started on the 20th Feb. I have the old style Humax box. Now I find out a few days later you launched the G4 box that seems to be snappier and smaller.

I'm really annoyed that I missed out by a few days and am now locked into a 12 month contract with the old box. I know I can upgrade for £35 but as I've just paid £35 for the activation fee I don't really think adding another £35 on is a good deal.

I totally understand that I signed up just on the wrong side of this but had the guy in the call centre told me I would have waited those 3 or 4 days and signed up for the latest box.

I just feel really dissapointed, almost like I was palmed off with your old tech.

I don't want to come across all negative because I'm really happy with the Youview service, in fact I'm really happy with all of the services I have from BT. Everything has been excellent so far. I just can't help feeling like I've been knowingly sold a box that was going out of date. If I could have had a quicker, snappier and improved box then that would obviously have been my perference and I would have waited a few days for it.

Is there anyway I can get the box swapped?

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
speedtrip
Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: Missed the new G4 box by a few days. Can I still have it?

Go to solution

Join the queue !          Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution
paulbanner
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

Hi Stew,

Point taken. Perhaps I could have worded it better but you know what I mean. The point it is that BT have a brand new spanking shiny box and if I had signed up 3/4 days later I would have been offered one but instead I've been sent the previous, not so up to date box.

On a side note, a year is a long time when it comes to technology. Things change fast. From everything I've read this new box is quicker and quieter. So I don't feel bad for refering to the box I have as "old".

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution
I accept your point too. The only thing is there has to be a cut off. You have a Humax box, I have a Pace Box (Vision + box) which was launched over 4 years ago! Just wish BT/Sky could agree Sky Sports on Youview and we will all have new boxes!
0 Ratings
Old_Welsh_dragon
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

I miissed out too.  I ordered on the 21st of Feb my contract/connection started on 27th Feb, I still got the old style box... Man Frustrated

0 Ratings
paulbanner
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

Well, I really hope that BT might take the time to respond to this thread. I'm expecting to be told that thats the way it is but hopefully BT can pull something out the bag for us.

Old_Welsh_dragon
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

We can live in hope Paul

walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

It's the same with anything - you buy something and a few days later it could be replaced by something else.

I've purchased something and within a week seen a newer model come out or it goes down in price - yes guitted but have to live with it - technology is for ever changing and if you kept waiting for the newer stuff, you'll never buy anything

Same with deals for services, these are always changing and you see people complain about I've just signed up and now this has happened, why didn't you tell me. The reason being when you purchase a service you are getting the one available at time of purchase and not all frontline staff will know a new product/service is available until it's actually launched. This happens all the time and it makes the call handlers look bad, but if they aren't made aware there is not a lot we can do about it.

0 Ratings
paulbanner
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

Hi Walkerx,

I completely agree that there has to be a cut off point and I also agree that the guys at the call centre may not have all of the information on up and coming products. I know that from a legal stand point I have no leg to stand on and I know that from the perspective of BT I'll probably just be another customer moaning that they missed out.

I get that. I understand it. I'm not claiming that anything untoward is going on. What I don't agree with is that I should have to pay £35 to upgrade the box (assuming I would even be allowed). I've only had it for a few days. I think BT could have a window for early adopters to be upgraded. Maybe anybody who signed up for a new contract within two weeks of the new box being launched could be offered the upgrade? Maybe even at a reduced price, enough to cover the postage of the box.

I would have thought that the more people BT have on the faster and improved box the better.

0 Ratings