Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZacUrquhart
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Missing Freeview Channels

Go to solution
So,

I've recently installed my Youview+ Box, all subscribed channels working lovely. BUT The youview box refuses to find most of the Freeview Channels, including BBC1 & 2 and all HD variants.

These channels pick up with maximum strength on the Internal TV tuner no issues.

I understand there is a dual tuner on these Youview boxes that can have trouble with Freeview channels, but are there any hints or tricks I could use to get the channels back ? I'm not entirely convinced it is down to a weak signal!

Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Missing Freeview Channels

Go to solution

t could be too much signal overloading the YouView box. You could try a 6dB attenuator which you can get from TV shops or online.

Signal overload is quite common if you are near a transmitter, or have an aerial amplifier.

If the signal is too strong, the digital tuners in the YouView box cannot extract the data from the muxes, they are not all the same strength, which is why some channels work, and others do not.

Try a 6dB attenuator in the aerial input to the YouView box.

They are a very simple inline component, with a TV plug and socket, and fit in the lead, where it plugs into the YouView box.

Image1.jpg

You should aim for a signal level of about 70-90% with a signal quality of 100%.

ZacUrquhart
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution
Thanks Keith,

There's a Maplin nearby so will get hold of one tomorrow and get back to you on the results!

Fingers crossed.

Zac
0 Ratings
ZacUrquhart
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
And Voila !

My Freeview channel list has gone from 65 to 220, so the attenuator has done the trick!

Thanks for your assistance!
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Brilliant result @ZacUrquhart. Thanks @Keith_Beddoe for the advice. Just what the Community is all about.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

@ZacUrquhart wrote:
And Voila !

My Freeview channel list has gone from 65 to 220, so the attenuator has done the trick!

Thanks for your assistance!

Excellent Smiley Happy

Its something that is often overlooked.

Also see https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Picture-breaking-up/m-p/1696786#M32946

And https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Freeview-HD-Channels-Pixelation/m-p/1699515#M33125

0 Ratings
pds
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Used the same information today.

no Freeview before fitting the 6db atten.

after fitting all ok.

this is in my mother in laws flat with a boosted aerial to all sockets.

great shout.

0 Ratings
unbrokenman
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

It looks like I might have the same problem.  I set up my new BT Youview+ box last night, and I onlu got 32 Freeview channels.  I'm replacing a previous Youview box, which worked just fine with gazillions of channels.  The channels that I do get have 90% signal strength.

Is it a known problem that the BT Youview+ box is more sensitive to signal overstrength than other (older) boxes ?

Before I dash off to Maplin for an attenuator, are there any other possibilities ?

Cheers,

Russell

0 Ratings
pds
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution
Do you have a boosted aerial ?
I was also at 90 % signal strength.
The 6db attenuator is 5.99 in maplin
0 Ratings