cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keiron12
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Missing HD channels

My last BT 4K tv box died, was replaced by BT. The new one does pick up channel 101 to 105. Nothing else changed. I’ve tried retuning, no fix.

I have another BT TV box (smaller one, doesn’t record). I substituted this one in using same aerial and HDMI cable and it picks up these channels fine. Any ideas?

signal strength =100
signal quality = 75-90%

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Missing HD channels

Try running a software update and then retune the box...

TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

@Keiron12 

I think signal strength is probably the issue.

Whilst it may seem odd but a signal strength of 100% is TOO high and is probably overloading/overpowering the tuners. Unfortunately the tuners on the BT Youview units are not as good as they should be.

The solution is to fit an variable attenuator between the aerial lead and the box's aerial input socket and adjust it until you get a signal strength around the 90% figure.

A suitable attenuator can be found for around £5 on well known sites - auction and others.

Keiron12
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

I’ve read other comments when people have experienced similar issues and the advice had been that signal strength of 90-100% is required. If it is the case that the signal is ‘too strong’ here, then it is a fault of the BT box design in my opinion. However, I don’t believe that is the case here as it worked on a previous box of the same model and currently works on another BT box, albeit a different model.

0 Ratings
Keiron12
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Sorry, didnt mean to come across as if I didn’t appreciate your advice, just frustrated at these BT boxes and wishing I’d just gone with sky as their hardware is miles better it would appear

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

@Keiron12 

The advice I've given is in line with all the other advice given regarding signal strength and I do think that the affects of it can vary between boxes of the same model and definitely between boxes of different models. The non-recording zapper box is a totally different device to the recording units.

If you want to resolve your problem then taking the advice given here is a good starting point but I won't feel offended if you don't.

Keiron12
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Fair enough Tim, I’ll try that. Thanks for taking the time.

0 Ratings
Bobandlesley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Hi. Not sure if this helps but thought I would post it anyway. It does tell me that all modern TV’s and boxes are susceptible to interference. The spitter before the TV and or you BT box may solve the issue.

I replaced replaced a very old Labgear distribution amp. With UHF and VHF inputs. Initially I found that both TV and the BT Box (on HD channels only) signal were dropping out in a cycle of about two seconds. All other Channels apart from HD were good. Because I had changed the Ariel at the same time (which was originally faulty) I called the Ariel person back. He naturally blamed the new distribution amp. After I tried lots of different things I found the issue. Disconnecting the VHF feed into the new distribution amp fix the problem. It was the same with a new Labgear amp! So I purchased a TV/VHF splitter so that VHF was filtered before going into TV and BT Box. All was fixed!! The Ariel person had not seen this issue before so be aware. This is a good product and recommended.
0 Ratings