Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DW2
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Missing TV Aerial Channels

Go to solution

Hi, i have just upgraded to a 4k box and am down to just 75 channels via my aerial - i'm missing all of the HD channels and ITV, Ch4, Ch5 etc. There had been some Freeview channel upgrades recently so i had a Freeview engineer come out who said the aerial and amplifier are working fine and receive all the channels. If i plug directly into my TV i get all the channels including HD but when i go back via my box i lose them ! Signal quality on BBC1 via Freeview is 100% both quality and strength so i know the aerial set-up is working. Any thoughts very welcome ! Did read that the problem may be the box can't cope with the signal which would be odd as that is surely its main job

Thanks 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Missing TV Aerial Channels

Go to solution

If the YouView box is showing 100% signal, then it could be overloading, so reducing the signal level to about 90% using an attenuator, may fix the problem.

The input decoder will not work if the signal level is too high.

variable_attenuator.jpg

If you search sites like Amazon, for LOOPS Aerial Coaxial Cable Variable Attenuator,  or Philex Variable TV Signal Attenuator

TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@DW2 

You mentioned an amplifier , maybe you could just try turning that down or removing it and see what effect it has when you retune the TV and the Youview box.

0 Ratings
DW2
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Many thanks have tried all the settings on the amplifier and no change to the 100% signal on certain channels so think will try the attenuator next. Cheers 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
DW2
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Many thanks will pick one up and see if that does the job. Cheers 

0 Ratings
DW2
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
Spoiler
Spoiler

Attenuator arrived today, easily fitted and success as number of channels doubled and HD showing now as well. Thanks for the help

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Excellent 😀

Aerial installers often overlook the possibility of signal overload.

0 Ratings