cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 23

Re: Missing a substantial amount of Freeview channels

Remember, this is only a customer to customer help forum, and I am just a customer.

I have suggested that you have your distribution amplifier checked. If you are just using a splitter, then you are likely to get poor results, and interference between the different YouView boxes, as a splitter does not give any isolation between outputs.

This is most likely the cause of your problems.

This is described on my web page.

You are unlikely to fix the problem any other way, so the choice is yours.

0 Ratings
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 23

So the splitter which I have used for years will be causing interference now? 

The splitter which is a 4 way with power pass has been given us good signal from the loft aerial.

I ask again, what is a Distribution Amplifier and Sensitivity on the YV box?

Thanks

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 23

@NorthEasterner wrote:

Could be if its power supply capacitors have gone kapput which is a common fault with much modern electrickery.

0 Ratings
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 23

But the splitter provides signal to all other TV's in the house.

The fault seems to be limited to just the particular YouView box in that particular room.

I find it bizzare to be honest when all other TV's work inc other YV boxes and work in the particular room.

Will try and get a 6dB attenuator and see if that helps.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 23

@NorthEasterner wrote:

The splitter which is a 4 way with power pass has been given us good signal from the loft aerial.

I ask again, what is a Distribution Amplifier and Sensitivity on the YV box?

Thanks

Does your splitter look like this Aerial distribution amplifier

If it is, then it may have gone faulty, or its being affected by 4G signals.

Read the thread that I referenced.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/HD-Signal-Strength-and-Quality-Issue/td-p/1776303

I doubt that an attenuator will help, but you can try it. The only real answer is to get your aerial and distribution system checked properly.

It may mean that the splitter (amplifier) may need to be changed, if its 4G interference, or that other box has a fault on it.

I assume you have the BT YouView multiroom option, so you can watch the extra channels on two boxes?

You need professional advice on your aerial distribution system.

0 Ratings
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 23

This is it Labgear 4 WAY SPLITTER WITH POWERPASS ALL PORTS

I highly doubt my aerial, cabling or distribution is at fault if my other Youview box works fine in the bedroom with the exception of the new box.

Yet the new box works okay in the living room.

All aerial points link back to the same aerial to the same splitter as well. 

Not going to get much help bringing in a profesional to have a look when theres nothing wrong with the incoming signal but the actual youview box.

Strangely if I press down the aerial cable and hold it down the picture clears itself and gets a signal (at the bedroom outlet) but this is impossible to keep like that when not pressing down on it. 

I have tried different fly leads and no change.

Yes I subscribe to Extra Box service for £5 extra per month.

No offence, but seem to be repeating myself here - advising there is nothing wrong with the incoming aerial signal, splitter or cabling.

Happy christmas, NE

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 23

That is just a passive splitter, with no amplification. Its only any good if you are in a strong signal aerial.

You are likely to get different signal levels at each outlet, depending on the length of the cable.

Anyway, you can see if any other forum members have suggestions.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 23

Try swapping the feeds at the distribution device end and see if the problem moves to or stays with the Youview box in question.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 23

That splitter you are using, has quite a signal loss, and its different for each outlet.

Insertion Loss: 6.8dB 7.0dB 7.8dB 8.0dB

Your issue is that you are simply losing too much signal, and the normal variation between YouView boxes, means that the one you are having problems with, simply needs more signal.

Get a proper distribution amplifier which has no loss, and gives the same output on every connection.

The one that I illustrated, works just fine.

Its the SLx 27820HSG Four Output Aerial Distribution Amplifier costs about £15.

Aerial distribution amplifier

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 23

@NorthEasterner wrote:

This is it Labgear 4 WAY SPLITTER WITH POWERPASS ALL PORTS

I highly doubt my aerial, cabling or distribution is at fault if my other Youview box works fine in the bedroom with the exception of the new box.

Yet the new box works okay in the living room.

All aerial points link back to the same aerial to the same splitter as well. 

Not going to get much help bringing in a profesional to have a look when theres nothing wrong with the incoming signal but the actual youview box.

Strangely if I press down the aerial cable and hold it down the picture clears itself and gets a signal (at the bedroom outlet) but this is impossible to keep like that when not pressing down on it. 

I have tried different fly leads and no change.

Yes I subscribe to Extra Box service for £5 extra per month.

No offence, but seem to be repeating myself here - advising there is nothing wrong with the incoming aerial signal, splitter or cabling.

Happy christmas, NE

If you can press down on the cable at the outlet socket and the signal improves, that would suggest to me that there is a problem with the outlet socket such as a cracked joint.

As for your other Youview box working in that room, that is a bit odd, is it exactly the same spec. as the other?

0 Ratings