Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
LesC
Expert
Message 1 of 16

Missing channels on MUX 7& 8

Seems many people in the London area served by Crystal Palace aerial can no longer receive channels on MUX 7 & 8 (BBC News HD, BBC 4 etc) following unannounced changes on Wednesday.  I've tried retuning to no avail.

@DigitalUK suggested "channels are broadcasting as expected (clearly not the case). We’d recommend trying a full retune - sometimes called default settings, first time install - not just an auto. If still an issue please do call Freeview Advice Line in freephone 0808 100 0288"

Other sources have said anew wideband aerial may be required.

The Freeview site states "Retuning your Freeview TV or box should restore your channels in most cases. However, in some cases you may need a new aerial to continue watching all available services. For more information or help with this call the Freeview Advice Line on freephone 0808 100 0288. Support may be available where a new aerial is required. Read more at https://www.freeview.co.uk/tvchanges#gjxtCfuAcRio0AQm.99"

I'm fortunate to be able to get the missing channels via my Sky box but if I did need an aerial upgrade would not be elegible for a free upgrade as I have Sky.

This all seems a little underhand & was not widely publicised. Judging by complaints on various social media channels, many people have been taken completely unaware ...

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES
srpsrp
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: Missing channels on MUX 7& 8

I have been getting Freeview warnings on my twitter or facebook for a while telling me to retune on the 21st ( have not done so yet) 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 3 of 16

Same thing happened in the Midlands and North West a couple of weeks ago.  Thousands upon thousands of people can no longer get the channels that have moved to COM 7/8 as they are on 'group A' aerials which cannot reach as high as channels 55/56.

In all such cases the only cure is a new 'wideband' aerial e.g. Log 36 etc.  It is the biggest rip off in years and all to swell the goverments coffers as they are selling off the space created by the move to the mobile companies for more spectrum to run 5G services. 

speedtrip
Expert
Message 4 of 16

London Crystal Palace transmitter - I have BBC4 down to mid-30s signal strength & <44 Quality for the last couple of weeks - preceeding this change....

I cant improve it with a re-tune, but I can stop it totally dropping out now by twisting the aeriel lead in the UHD Humax socket & putting a little pressure sideways ...

All other Channels are >98% strength ... so I dont think its the UHD box at fault ?

0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 5 of 16

Certainly not the Box at fault; I've lost the MUX 7& 8 channels from the TV tuner too.

I had a new aerial installed in 2007 specifically for the digital switchover & I've had superb reception to date but on Wednesday all MUX 7 & 8 channels dissaperared completely.

It's been suggested a 'wideband' aerial may be required but i was advised that my aerial an 'RX12' was a wideband aerial but how you can confirm this I have no idea.

I understand that MUX 7 & 8 are temporary muxes and will go in a few years time so what happens then, who knows!!

0 Ratings
Michael1812
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

I've retuned by going to 'settings' then 'TV channels' and 'retune channel' but have lost about 30 channels.  How do I know if it is an issue with my aerial or my youview box.  Is there another way to retune my youview box that could pick up these missing channels? What kind of aerial do I need?

0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 7 of 16

@Michael1812wrote:

I've retuned by going to 'settings' then 'TV channels' and 'retune channel' but have lost about 30 channels.  How do I know if it is an issue with my aerial or my youview box.  Is there another way to retune my youview box that could pick up these missing channels? What kind of aerial do I need?

Can you still get the 'missing' channels on your TV's tuner? On mine, they're missng on the TV tuner too.

0 Ratings
Michael1812
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

I've never attempred to run my aerial through my TV before tonight and when I did try to tune it, I couldn't get any channels.  I was likely doing something wrong or my TV just sucks.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 16

Could be the TV was trying to tune in old analogue channels which are no longer broadcast and you need to check it is scanning for digital / Freeview channels?
0 Ratings
Caher
Contributor
Message 10 of 16

I have very rarely ever been able to watch bbc news hd, bbc 4 etc. East Midlands.

0 Ratings