cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Missing channels - troublshooter shows multiple boxes - ??

I have had missing channels for the last few months. I had an engineer out who said it was due to the signal and I needed to talk to a TV Aerial tech. I have had them out to check it and they say there should be no issue. 

I retune the box daily and sometimes I get 129 Freeview channels. Most of the time I get around 70. So, I want to try to get another engineer out who at least might try a new box for me or an attenuator. This seems to be an impossible task. 

There is no way to book an engineer online anymore, and if I try to call the customer services number I just wait for hours.  ALso when I use the troublshooter I am asked to "Choose Your Connected TV Box" and 3 boxes appear - see below. Just one issues...I only have one box!

nbanbury_0-1597782571347.png

Can anyone here escalate this? I'm not sure if this forum is even looked at by BT but if it is I am very annoyed and close to changing providers. Please advise.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Missing channels - troublshooter shows multiple boxes - ??

This is a customer self help forum moderated by a small team of BT employees, so whilst it's possible that someone from BT will read your post it's by no means certain.

Are you sure that the aerial socket on the back of the box, or the aerial cable itself is not faulty.

It might be worth trying to reproduce the fault on the TV by removing the cable from the BT box and plugging it directly into the TV to see if you still get the same problem

If you found this post helpful 🙂 then please let me know by clicking the thumbs up button below. On the other hand, if you found it unhelpful 😞 then please let me know by clicking the thumbs up button below . 😄
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Thanks! 

In my ire I neglected to say that the Freeview works fine without the BTTV box in the way. And it works fine from every aerial outlet in the house. 

I've got a variable attenuator and have tried it at various sifnal levels from 60% to 90% but the problem persists. Currently I have 52 freeview channels working. Each time i retune I find a different number. I've taken the attenuator off the line for now. 

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 18

@nbanbury 

I'm a little unclear here as to where the problem is.

Are you referring to the BT TV unit missing channels or your TV missing channels when the BT box is in the circuit.

If the former then without any attenuator inline what level of signal strength & quality do you get on any of the major channels?

If the latter then if the BT box is in standby mode then it may not be passing through the aerial signal fully as there's a setting for allowing this to happen which by default is OFF. The setting is Antenna Out (in Picture & Sound) and needs to be ON.

You mention many other TV outlets in the house, note that splitting the signal with a 2-way or 4-way splitter does reduce the signal strength for each outlet and if the signal is getting low - and the BT units are adversely affected by high or low strength signals - then an aerial amplifier might be needed before the initial splitting takes place.

Think that cover sit for the moment.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Hi there. It's the BT TV unit which is missing channels. When the BT box is not in the circuit, no channels are missing.

With no attenuator inline, I get 80-90% strength and 100% quality for those channels I do see. 

Sometimes when I retune the BT Box, previously missing channels appear - but after a random amount of time (minutes to days) they disappear again (as in the picture goes blank) and show 0% for nboth strength and quality. Usually retuning doesn't find them.

I am getting 77 Freeview channels today, having retuned it just now.

There is no feed coming out of the BT box, but the antenna out setting is set to "on".

There is a 4 way variable gain aerial distribution amplifier connected to the aerial, right next to the aerial itself.

I am pretty convinced the BT box is the culprit.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 18

Indoor , loft or roof aerial?

As there's no output lead on the Youview box to the TV do you have a splitter there and if so try with the aerial lead directly into the Youview box and then out to TV as that may help.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Loft aerial. As mentioned it works fine for any TV not plugged into the BT TV box

There's no splitter near the box - the splitter is in the attic. To get Freeview I use the BT box which is connected via HDMI to the TV - I don't use the TV for Freeview at all, so how would pushing the signal to the TV help?

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 18

Sorry I didn't realise that you only watched Freeview channels through the Youview box.

You could possibly try a Maintenance Mode reset - see here - trying options 2 and/or 4 both which keep your recordings. This can sometimes cure various ills.

I'd try a few other things to rule out any aerial input issues by the following if possible:-

. Switch the feeds around at the distributor in case of an issue there.

. Connect the feed for the room the Youview box is in  directly to the aerial feed as going into the distributor and try a retune to see the effect. That'll rule out any issue with the distributor I guess. If you get a 100% signal strength reading here you might need to stick an attenuator in to reduce strength to around the 90%.

The tuners on the Youview boxes are quite sensitive - or weak might be a better word - and easily affected by all sorts of things.

If the amplier/distributor is giving too strong a signal then because of the sensitivity I've mentioned above it could be causing these problems although tht may not look logical on the face of it.

If none of that helps then likely to be a box issue & an exchange required.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Does the aerial cable fit securely into the BT box with little or no play or does it feel floppy?

If you found this post helpful 🙂 then please let me know by clicking the thumbs up button below. On the other hand, if you found it unhelpful 😞 then please let me know by clicking the thumbs up button below . 😄
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Thanks - will try Maintenance Mode reset and see what happens, will then play with aerial inputs and box connection.

The aerial cable seems to fit ok, but the whole socket on the BT Box is a bit wobbly...hmm

0 Ratings