Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
4KTVFan
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Missing youview features and the Consumer Rights Act 2015

Since my other thread about the continuing missing youview features on BT boxes still hasn't had a formal reply from BT I feel it's time to mention the Consumers Rights Act 2015.

Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 a consumer has the right to... (This information has been taken from the Which website)

Digital content

The Consumer Rights Act defines digital content as ‘data which are produced and supplied in digital form.’ Or in other words things like downloaded films, music, games and apps.

Just like goods, digital content must be:

• of satisfactory quality
  • fit for a particular purpose
  • as described by the seller.

If digital content does not conform to these criteria, you have the right to a repair or replacement of the digital content you've bought. 

But if a repair or replacement isn't possible, or doesn't fix the situation, you can ask for a price reduction. This can be up to 100% of the cost of the digital content.

BT and youview clearly stated in the public domain that features, like Discover would return, and in fact, have returned on retail youview boxes.

I believe that BT in their deployment of youview are in breach of the Consumers Rights Act 2015 and in doing so are liable to compensate users of their service.

*** The same rights would apply to the adveretised Amazon Video app for 4K boxes which still has not been made available ***

0 Ratings
1 REPLY
-Richie-
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 2

Re: Missing youview features and the Consumer Rights Act 2015

@4KTVFanwrote:

BT and youview clearly stated in the public domain that features, like Discover would return, and in fact, have returned on retail youview boxes.

I wish you luck but ultimately what are you looking to get from this ?

I think the key words are 'would return' but was there a set date ? so long as it's not confirmed cancelled it could be 'will return' forever.
I don't see any mention of Discover as part of the included features, so it's not being advertised as part of the package, then factor in the terms and conditions which include 'prices, content and terms may vary' and a feature would fall under content.

As for the refund BT can claim they gave you the box free, you're paying to access content, setup costs are classed as activation or postage, never for equipment so 100% refund of nothing is still nothing.

Personally I like my BT TV box, it could be better, it could have more features but overall I'm very happy with it and the cost, it is what it is Smiley Happy

0 Ratings