cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 1 of 10

Multi room question

Go to solution

Looking to come back to BT from Sky for infinity, phone and TV.  Got a 4K Tv  and can see to order the Ultra HD option but cannot see anywhere any option to order a box for multiroom. 

Obviously want the first box to be 4K UHD but second box would only be standard HD.

Is the only way to get multiroom by phone order.

I will point out that multiroom is a deal breaker for me, no multiroom ,no order.

Any ideas

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Multi room question

Go to solution

you can definetly have multiroom like you suggest but you will need a minimum speed of 54Mbps. How you actually get that ordered is another thing altogether though...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks. Speed wise there should not be a problem then. Just wondering wh I cannot see it when you go throught the order process. Probably have to ring nearer the time.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Are you already a BT customer with an active TV package ? If so ring 0800 800 800 and ask for either the Loyalty or Value team.

2nd box subscriptions are £5 per month, you'll get the same content on the 2nd box that you do on the 1st box.
You can do a subscription only if you have an additional Youview box for £5 more, If you require BT to provide the 2nd box the cost is £49 for a non-recordable box or £99 for a recordable box, plus £9.99 postage.

You can pay when you order or have the box charge added to your next bill.

The 2nd box will also require you to connect an aerial to it and it needs internet, if you don't have an ethernet cable long enough then BT can also sell you broadband connectors at the point of order, I think they cost £25 one-off.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@-Richie-wrote:

Are you already a BT customer with an active TV package ?

No, will be new for fibre/phone and TV

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @toekneem ,

the other restriction for the extra box would be if either Sky Sports or Sky Cinema were added to your BT TV package so applying logic (which does not always seem to apply ) I wouldn’t expect the order process to offer you the extra box until after you had gone past the stage where the SkyO Sports and Sky Cinema addon were offered and not added.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Left off SKY Sports/cinema and the next page tp show was checkout. Didnt let it go that far. needed confirmation first.

Might go to checkout and see.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@toekneem The minimum speed required for an extra box subscription on the 4K Ultra HD service is actually 70Mb. If your speed estimate is not above this the online order process will not give you the option of adding an extra box subscription.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@NeilOwrote:

@toekneemThe minimum speed required for an extra box subscription on the 4K Ultra HD service is actually 70Mb. If your speed estimate is not above this the online order process will not give you the option of adding an extra box subscription.

WOW, in that case its goodbye from me. Loks like I will stay with SKY Q and there multiroom.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

70Mbps?? Really. So that means (as 4k is 44Mbps) BT don't sell the base service to anyone with less than 26Mbps. Is that correct.

Why can't you sell a non-recordable box (like SKY Q is) and add an extra 10Mbps to cover the highest it would stream (single HD IP channel) and make it 54Mbps minimum, I thought that was what was used.

All that said you can just have one 4K box downstairs and then have a chromecast device on your upstairs tv and cast all the channels to that. you would then only need the 44Mbps to get the 4K box as no-one asks about headroom for streaming.

Other methods are available 🙂 -

You can watch on a TV via the app with a Samsung Smart TV, Chromecast, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Tablet or Amazon Fire TV

0 Ratings