cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 193

Multicast Settings for 3rd Party Routers may not work

I've been performing some tests today as the sports channels and the test channel have appeared on both my Youview (BT/Retail) boxes, but here is the problem.

HH4 - works perfectly enables the test channel to work and the youview box displays internet channel - also on-demand players work

DLink Dir 825 - If enable multicast you can see the on-demand players but get an IPC6023 error when viewing the test channel (this means poor internet channel quality) - even though it works if use the HH4

ASUS RT-N66U - If enable multicast and tell it which port you can view IPTV on it allows the test channel but then no on-demand works and youview can't detect the internet, even though the test channels works! - If you enable multicast but don't advise on which port for the IPTV then you get an IPC6023 error when viewing the test channel and the on-demand works

So I'm now thinking that 3rd party equipment may not be compatible and would be grateful if someone from BT can confirm this, as a user should not have to be forced to use the HH if they have their own equipment

0 Ratings
192 REPLIES 192
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 193

Re: Multicast Settings for 3rd Party Routers may not work

BT only support their Home Hubs.

IGMP is required for the BT TV Connect service to work, and most thrid party routers do not have it.

I have the same problem, and have known for a while that I'm going to have to ditch my Apple Airport Extreme to revert to a home hub - at least now I can order a Home Hub 4 with dual band, which wasn't available before.

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 3 of 193

@Colin_London wrote:

BT only support their Home Hubs.

IGMP is required for the BT TV Connect service to work, and most thrid party routers do not have it.

I have the same problem, and have known for a while that I'm going to have to ditch my Apple Airport Extreme to revert to a home hub - at least now I can order a Home Hub 4 with dual band, which wasn't available before.

NOOO!!!! Put your Airport Extreme into Bridge Mode and turn the HH's Wireless off. That's what I've done and the two work fine together. 

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 193

I understand that BT only support the HomeHubs, but this now raises possible major issues with Youview itself. If the box cannot work with IPTV and on-demand with a 3rd party router then a lot of people may not be happy as it could limit the use of the box in the future

for reference the dlink states this

Multicast Streams

The router uses the IGMP protocol to support efficient multicasting -- transmission of identical content, such as multimedia, from a source to a number of recipients.

Enable Multicast Streams This option must be enabled if any applications on the LAN participate in a multicast group. If you have a multimedia LAN application that is not receiving content as expected, try enabling this option.

And it does obtain some multicast ip addresses, but not sure if these are correct

the hg612 also has the following and allows you to enable IGMP for multicasting

IGMP

Through the IGMP snooping function, the gateway performs the multicast management in the link layer and the packets that have multicast destination MAC addresses can be forwarded to the corresponding host or device.

Through the IGMP proxy function, the gateway performs the multicast management in the network layer and a channel of multicast stream can be allocated to multiple hosts and devices, thus saving the network bandwidth.

@MartinH I may have to do similar as I have two youview boxes and I don't want either crippled. The trouble I have though is that my Youview is connected to a switch that also has my av receiver connected, xbox and media player connected. So solution would be that I would have to run another cable just for the Youview box and all the others go via my switch to ASUS router

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 193

Or run an 8-pair CAT5e cable and terminate with two gang sockets at either end?
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 193

@Colin_London wrote:
Or run an 8-pair CAT5e cable and terminate with two gang sockets at either end?

missus would let me do that, she weren't happy when done a work around of putting some trunking along bottom of skirting board and drilled some holes behind the fireplace for cables to run through

I also need to ensure both boxes will work with IPTV channels and on-demand as other providers may come online at later date and as with other providers on the box already I can use multi-room on their players

0 Ratings
zarf2007
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 193

has anyone confirmed if a linksys or dlink brand of router have worked with this?

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 193

My dlink dont work

Even Youview recommending to use HH

Someone has got a tplink working though

0 Ratings
zarf2007
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 193

thanks walkerx

there must be other routers that work (other than the tp link), surely if it is just igmp multicast i have seen this feature on other routers but they dont seem to work, i wonder what the HH does differently...it will be pants if we are stuck with that **bleep** though....

i will be receiving a Linksys EA6300 today which is a fairly modern wireless AC based router that supports igmp/multicast, so will test and post back the results.

0 Ratings
Red_Snow
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 193

I've tried (with multiple configurations), Linksys EA4500, Draytek 2750n, Asus RT-N66u and Netgear AC6300 ...... none of them worked despite having settings for IPTV/Multicast and IGMP!

Now have the HH4, it's a reasonable router and I know multicast will work.

0 Ratings