cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 193

Re: Multicast Settings for 3rd Party Routers may not work

Interesting post on SeenIt that has found a 3rd party router that works with BTs multicast (IGMP). It's the TP-Link Archer C7, an AC router, so not cheap but can be found for about the same price as the Netgear N900 or Asus RT-N66U.

http://www.seenit.co.uk/an-alternative-router-to-bts-home-hub-for-use-with-bt-sport/0728716/

0 Ratings
Red_Snow
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 193

I was just reading that ...... very interesting but no real detail around his findings (platform/channels watched etc). Now would also probably be a bad time to test as BT are half way through their YV multicast implementation.

I guess with Amazon you can return it if it's not working 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 193

Just tweeted the same thing to the SeenIt guy, I will probably get one from Amazon a week before launch so can return it if it doesn't work with the IPTV channels.

0 Ratings
zarf2007
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 193

well the linksys EA6300 didnt work, so thats going back! Have ordered the TP link and will test it tomorrow and report back...

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 193

my asus is now just over a month old and currently doesn't work for channel 900 which is the test signal - now if it does not work when go live in august and august confirm there is an issue with the device and igmp then it will be going back for a replacement model 

so think before people start switching routers we need to wait till august 1, as unsure if channel 900 will still be there and if it is, what will be broadcast on it

0 Ratings
zarf2007
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 193

True, however I doubt even BT would run trials with a particular multicast technology and then completely change it when rolled out to everyone. It would kind of defeat the purpose of testing......then again, this is BT, so forget what I said!
0 Ratings
zarf2007
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 193

Just an update, I tried the TP link and although the multicast worked the router itself is shoddy, devices lose wireless connectivity to it and it would often grind to a halt. I even applied a beta firmware for it which made it a bit more stable but still not good enough for daily use. I send it back and now use the hh4 for NAT/multicast (wireless disabled) with the youview box connected to that by home plugs while I have a separate n66 router that handles wireless. I get decent performance so can hold out until a decent grade router appears that will handle the multicast properly.
0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 193

Well i'm personally quite surprised at the HH4 I have just bought - even though it is replacing my Apple Airport Extreme 4th Gen. The WiFi is better in upstairs bedrooms and the general speed of performance has no noticeable difference. Plus the Youview test channel 900 works now (it didn't work with the AE). Seems to have been worth the £35 Smiley Surprised

NB: I'm sharing the Gig Ethernet connection with several devices including the Youview box via a Powerline AV 500 network. The Youview box works fine on Channel 900 despite this, and the arrangement overcomes the 'only one GigE port' problem. The only slight issue is that my home server is locally connected to the router and has to use a 100Mbps port now, but the reduction in Backup speed is not really discernable.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 193

@Colin_London wrote:

Well i'm personally quite surprised at the HH4 I have just bought - even though it is replacing my Apple Airport Extreme 4th Gen. The WiFi is better in upstairs bedrooms and the general speed of performance has no noticeable difference. Plus the Youview test channel 900 works now (it didn't work with the AE). Seems to have been worth the £35 Smiley Surprised

NB: I'm sharing the Gig Ethernet connection with several devices including the Youview box via a Powerline AV 500 network. The Youview box works fine on Channel 900 despite this, and the arrangement overcomes the 'only one GigE port' problem. The only slight issue is that my home server is locally connected to the router and has to use a 100Mbps port now, but the reduction in Backup speed is not really discernable.

The HH4 is actually quite a good device for standard users, but for me it has some limitations and thus reason why I use my own router.

I think I'll end up using the HH4 for the access and disable wireless and then configure my router to receive ip from it so can still use all the security of my own router

I did email ASUS for info on the IGMP but probably won't get a reply as even their website won't accept requests from their online form

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 193

won't let me update my post, but i've created some instructions for users to use their own router through the homehub

the post is here

0 Ratings